#TintinShopMNL @ Fully Booked BGC + Aimee and Dre and Faye’s first meeting!

TintinShopMNL1

So. Let’s talk about Tintin.

To be honest with you, I only discovered Tintin in 2011, when the animated feature film “The Adventures of Tintin” was released. I was in France then, studying the language there in a nice language school, and got to watch the film in French (“Les Aventures de Tintin”). Unfortunately, I understood nothing because while I can write and speak la langue decently, listening to it being spoken was a whole different story, so I just focused on the visuals and tried to understand based on context. (And come on, there were pirates, so of course it was about a treasure… right?!) However, after watching the film, I completely forgot all about him, and didn’t bother to know more about the guy who solved mysteries alongside an alcoholic pirate and a cute, snowy dog. I just didn’t feel compelled to do so.

Until, of course, I was invited by our resident book store giant, Fully Booked, to the official launching of their Tintin shop. How could I NOT go and get to know this orange-haired dude for real this time? (And yes, Fully Booked finally gave me a legit reason to do so *hides*)

TintinShopMNL2

And I learned a lot from the experience. For starters, Tintin is actually old. He was first created in 1929 by Georges Remi A.K.A. Hergé (which is actually a play of his initials! If you reverse his name it would be R.G. instead of G.R., and if you pronounce R.G. in French, it would sound exactly like Hergé! I got this trivia from Victoria of Fully Booked~), and he has been everywhere since his first appearance on Le Petit Vingtième (“The Little Twentieth”) – to the Soviet Union, to China, to Congo, to America, and even to the moon (even way before Neil Armstrong got there!). The following are some of the comic books that have been released over the years, as seen in the picture:

• Tintin in The Congo (Tintin Au Congo) – Publication most likely discontinued due to its racial and colonial undertones. This was published in the 1930s, when Congo was under Belgian rule.
  • Tintin in America (Tintin en Amérique) – Published around the same time as Tintin Au Congo. Our orange-haired hero travels to the United States, where he solves an organized crime and meets a tribe of Blackfoot Native Americans.
  • Cigars of The Pharaoh (Les Cigars du Pharaoh) – This time, our duo travels to Egypt to discover a tomb full of dead Egyptologists and boxes full of cigars. Eventually, the mystery leads them to Saudi Arabia and India to investigate a smuggling syndicate.
  • The Blue Lotus (Le Lotus Bleu) – Tintin and Snowy go to China during a time of East Asian unrest, and discovers Japanese spies hiding in their midst! (Plus, another smuggling syndicate.)
  • Red Rackam’s Treasure (Le Trésor de Rackham le Rouge) – The 2011 Hollywood movie is based on this comic series, where Tintin and Captain Haddock go down under to find the treasure of pirate Red Rackham.
  • The Seven Crystal Balls (Les Sept Boules de Cristal) – Tintin is accompanied by Captain Haddock once more as they rescue Professor Calculus. It also has Incan mummies. Scary, yet intriguing stuff.
  • The Prisoners of the Sun (Le Temple du Soleil) – They discover a hidden Incan civilization while searching for Professor Calculus!
  • Land of Black Gold (Tintin au pays de l’or noir) – The world is in turmoil and full of political unrest over oil, so our team goes to the Middle East to investigate who is responsible it.

TintinShopMNL3

These are only 8 of 23 finished works by Hergé, and I am absolutely eager to read each and every one of them. The tour made me realize how much I was missing, especially since The Adventures of Tintin were one of the most popular comics in Europe during its time, and has been translated to over 70 languages, accumulating fans all over the world. There may be no more new Tintin books coming out soon, but the magic doesn’t stop there, and I’m hopeful that having a merchandise shop here in the Philippines (one of two here in South East Asia!) would introduce the new generation to this iconic comic book hero.

And here’s to hoping the 2011 animated film will have a sequel in the future…

Speaking of merchandise, there were a lot. If you’re a huge fan of Tintin, you’ll be having a field day in this shop as there were so many to choose from – from postcards, to t-shirts, to stuff toys, to coffee mugs, and even the comics themselves in their awesome colored glory! I didn’t bring a lot of money with me when I went there, but you bet I’ll be visiting again soon to get myself acquainted once more!

TintinShopMNL4

TintinShopMNL5

The activities were also so fun! There was a Milou/Snowy paper model making, and there were even sweets and nachos to eat, too!

milou

Sweets

So, if you’re a Filipino and you want to get to know Tintin and buy anything Tintin-related, you know where to go! The shop is located inside Fully Booked @ Bonifacio Global City, Taguig. Awesome place, by the way. Four floors full of books. I pretty much restrained myself from frying my credit card.

What Else Happened?

What else? Why, I got to meet Dre of Sporadic Reads and my ever-so cute and sweet co-blogger, Aimee!

I wasn’t the only one invited! There were a lot of other bloggers there, book bloggers and lifestyle bloggers alike, and two of my friends were included. I was ecstatic to meet them. It would be my first time meeting people who I’ve communicated intimately online!

First up was Dre. We both wore black clothing (I swear it was a coincidence!), but while I went for the casual look, she went out with style with her awesome pants and boots. I was honestly very scared at first because I had this fear that what if we won’t be able to click, but it was very naive of me as  she was so fun to talk to and we clicked from the very first second! Look, we even posed with Tintin! Wouldn’t we make the perfect threesome?Dre and Faye

After our tour ended, we walked around and waited for Aimee. When we backed towards the bookstore entrance, we saw her petite figure checking out a bookshelf and I was like, “AIMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!”

Yep, a moment of happiness right there. A hugged the dearie to death!

First off, Aimee really is cute. She’s so small and cute, and the sweetest person ever. It’s such a nice feeling to finally know the person behind the smiling avatar. I’ve wanted to meet Aimee for so long, but missed the chance in an author signing. And may I tell you how fitting it was that we met in a bookstore? Surrounded by books, the very thing that connected us together in the first place? So romantic, guys.

Behold, our first picture together:

Aimee and Faye
We’re only missing Rashika now :( COME TO THE PHILIPPINES YOU ALIEN YOU

And of course, we hanged out, tried to look for a book for Aimee to buy, but we pretty much ended up just exchanging personal and blogging stories. Aimee may be way younger than me, but she was so cool to spend time with. It didn’t even feel like I was talking to someone seven years my junior O_O. And it didn’t even feel like I was talking to someone 9 years my senior when it came to Dre. I swear these people are awesome, and I thank the fates for leading me to them :)

We even had a selfie. Ahihihih.

Photo by Dre @ Sporadic Reads
Photo by Dre @ Sporadic Reads

With that said, it was an awesome event, and I am thankful I was invited personally by Fully Booked! I hope there would be more events in the future where I and other Filipino book bloggers can participate. Plus, more reasons to hang out with these lovely people again. Calling Amir, Francine, Ella, Irish, Paula and Jules! Ahem ahem! ;)

Comments

I know! It was the best place ever. It is seriously romantic if you think about it. I hope you like it!

I AM SO VERY VERY JEALOUS. I’M DYING OF JEALOUSY RIGHT NOW.
    Siiiiigh. I wish I can teleport to the Philippines!!!

I’m familiar of Tintin but I must admit that I have never really read any of the books! I would have to fix that. And some of those models are expensive! But I bet this is a dream for Tintin lovers everywhere, being able to go to one place for all these awesome merchandise. :)
    Amir recently posted…Review: Picture Perfect by Elisabeth GraceMy Profile

Mwahaha! I hope that jealousy is enough to make you buy a ticket back to the Philippines! ;) Sucks the soonest we can see you would be in 2015 ! :(

Yes, you definitley need to fix that, Amir. We can’t get behind! We’re already 85 years behind, you know! Haha. YES, THEY ARE SUPER EXPENSIVE. I mean they were cool-looking, but I think only legit (and rich) fans can afford to buy them.

I knooow! There were some other bloggers there too but I didn’t get to chat with them, so I had only Dre and Amir for company. And of course it had to be at a bookstore, where else could it be?! :P I mean that new ramen place could be an alternative too… *wipes drool*

I still need to learn more about Asterix & Obelix! Even my boyfriend loved those dudes more :) But the 2011 film really was cool and well-done. I feel like watching it again, in English this time…

I haven’t read any of the comic books, but I have seen him before. An old cartoon, I think. I only remember Tintin and Snowy, as well as the drunk captain. And those are some expensive merchandise. @_@

I wish I could have gone! I wasn’t feeling like myself that day and totally forgot until it was too late. Haha! It’s so awesome that you three had a great time together. I’m also amazed at how it’s easy to make friends with different ages through the blogging community. It feels like we’re all just the same, especially when it’s so easy to interact with achieving other. We should all definitely meet up at a bookstore too! <3
    Francine Soleil recently posted…random sketch #fashionaryMy Profile

Yeah, I think he was in some cartoons before, although I don’t think I’ve watched them either. And YES, expensive merchandise is expensive. Even my One Piece figurines from Japan aren’t that expensive! Haha. I hope it makes a hardcore Tintin fan happy.

AND I KNOW! I mean, I already met you and stuff since we’ve gone to a few classes together, but we really weren’t exactly close friends then :)) but it would be so much funner to meet you again as bloggers and as people who really interacted intimately now. And seriously, the blogging community is amazing. We three had half a generation of age gap each between each other but it never felt that way :))

I KNOW! It’s such a dream come true to me :) I hope I get to meet you, Bekka, and Kara in the future, too!

3. laila bc says

Aaaawwww! I can feel the love from u guys :) especially when you finally meet the Aimee! She so petite! I rememer seeing a TinTin cartoon as a child but never read any comic books. It was all about Archies during my highschool years. Bookstore is the place to be :))

I was oozing with love and care for Aimee, for sure :) Please don’t think it’s creepy, but I totally see her as a little sister that I never had (I REALLY DON’T HAVE ANY SUSTERS! D: ) In any case, I loved Archie, too! I think I rented all of the volumes of that one when I was in grade school. It’s honestly more popular here than Tintin, for example.

My ultimate dream is for a huge blogger meet-up where we all could just hang out and discuss books under a starry sky… but then again, knowing how many book bloggers there are in the world, it may be a little crowded O_O Haha! The movie was awesome, if you’re refering to the 2011 one. Check it out when you have the time! ARRR!

NOOO. I know, I know, I suck! I was pretty sheltered when I was a kid, and I was only glued to my Archie Comics, to Cartoon Network, and Nickelodeon (heard of the Rugrats? Haha). And yeah, if you’re a Tintin fan, this will definitely seem like heaven to you!

I’m so happy for you, Faye! *_* You guys all look so cute in that bookstore. I would lovee to meet my co-blogger in RL, but she lives all the way in New Zealand. Oh, and now I kind of want to watch the Adventures of Tintin, which I didn’t really pay attention to when it came out.
    Summer recently posted…{June Book Haul}My Profile

Where do you live, Summer? :O And New Zealand is pretty far, the land of the Lord of the Rings and all the sheep in the world… haha. I would love to visit there someday. And yes, you really do! It was in 3d, and it was pretty nice. Imagine 3D but made more realistic without the anime and cartoon’y influence.

5. Larissa says

Awwww (: It’s so great that you go to meet Aimee and Dre! I definitely want to meet some bloggers, just wish I didn’t live in the middle of nowhere in Canada. I can only imagine how exhilarating it would be to meet somebody you’ve been talking to online for the first time in real life (: And of course, it’s super perfect that this all happened in a book store.

Haha here’s to hoping that one day I’ll get the chance to meet all of you lovely ladies here at The Social Potato [:

Hey, now! You live in Canada! Amir lives over there! You can definitely meet up with her ;) I think she lives in a place called… Miss… Missie… Miss-something. LOL. It’s so long and it doesn’t really make sense to me! Anyway, it really was exhilirating. It’s nice to see the face of someone I’ve only interacted online! :D

AND YES! WE need to meet in the future? Maybe in a future BEA? :D

Oh it makes me so happy to see that you guys have all met and got along so well! That’s what I love about blogging and meeting people online, because you can be friends in real life too! I think it’s awesome that it expands us to different age groups and you have a common thing to click with. Thanks for sharing the story online ladies!
    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence recently posted…Chatterbox: Do endings change your feelings on a book/series?My Profile

Yes, yes, yes! Plus, they love books and read books as much as I do, so they’re kinda like… you know… “my” people who “really get me”. Haha. It’s because of this strong common thing among us that factors like age get thrown out the window!

So awesome you met in a book store. I loved reading about your meeting and I am excited you connected. I imagine this is something a lot of blogger’s dream of. I would love to meet some of you all! Fantastic post and I loved all of the pictures!
    kimbacaffeinate recently posted…Intoxicated by Monica MurphyMy Profile

The bookstore was pretty huge, too! We ended up walking around and around, telling stories and checking out books, and going, “Hey, I read that already as an ARC! It’s a really cool book!” haha. We have to meet someday, Kimberly!

I’ve seen that film too! I used to watch The Adventure of Tintin in TV. It aired in Cartoon Network for such a short time but I enjoyed his adventure and mysteries. I’m not a huge fan though so this collectibles are quite expensive for me. The wristwatch looks so nice though.

I didn’t know that this is your first time meeting Dre. And Aimiee is so cute and petite! I want to meet you too, Faye!
    Irish recently posted…Weekend ReadingMy Profile

REALLY? It aired on Cartoon Network?! I worshipped that channel when I was a wee one! How come I never saw it or caught an episode? That’s quite bizarre… that’s too bad because I would have loved to watch it! Oh, well, the interwebz is there to the rescue XD

And yes, it was my first time! We have to meet soon as well. Hopefully there’ll be a bookish event where we can all hang out and chill :)

OH THIS POST IS SO FULL OF AWESOME. That’s so sweet that you guys got to meet! I’m seriously lucky that my co-blogger lives…across the hallway. I can yell at her when I need her. I’m lucky.

But, omg, TINTIN. Honestly, you have ignited my inner fangirl…when I was like 10 my brother and I read Tintin all. the time. I’m not even kidding: holidays = all the Tintin comics. I can’t even count how many times I’ve read them! Even the originals!! ERMAGERSH. I just love that orange-haired nosey kid so much. And Snowy. And the Thompson twins. And EVERYONE. *ahem* So jealous you got to go to that huge Tintin place. ;)
    Cait @ Notebook Sisters recently posted…Stacking the Shelves #24 (Song Lyric Edition)My Profile

Hahaha, you and Mime are lucky definitely in that aspect! I wish I could get my brothers to at least read a single book, but that would be a lot of work as they’re not budging at all… harumph.

In any case, I didn’t know you loved Tintin! That’s so cool! :D In that case, you will definitely love this haven we have over here. Do you guys have your own Tintin shop in Australia?

I really wish I could have been able to go, but as it is, that was my first day of school. I ended up going home so tired that I fell asleep in the car. But it looks like so much fun, and it’s so nice that you were able to meet up with the other two! :3 You all look so cute and it’s nice to have something else of a facial reference besides your Twitter pics. If ever, I hope I can meet up with you all during Perkins!
    Shannelle C. recently posted…The Perkins Project: Tidbits from Perkins’s Forum RepliesMy Profile

Haha, it’s okay Shannelle, we’ll surely have other opportunities in the future. Plus, school is way more important so you definitely chose the right option ;) I won’t be able to go to Perkins, but I’m sure the others will be there. Take pictures for me, will ya? :D

I had no idea Tin Tin was so popular, the store looks awesome! It was only natural that you guys would click, you’re all so different but all stinkin’ nice and have a similar love of the same books. It looked like an awesome event. Love the photos! You’re all gorgeous, but Aimee is just too cute for words. Like pocket blogger <3
    Kelly recently posted…Stacking The Shelves #026 The Photo EditionMy Profile

Haha, were you a fan of Tintin, Kelly? The store definitely is awesome. Even the exterior is awesome (plus, they sell waffles and starbucks coffee in the fourth floor O_O WOW! And I know, Aimee puts cute in a whole new level! ;)

Oooh! Thanks for the educating post, love ;) Origamiiiiiii :D You and Dre both look so cute on that picture :) hahahaha! You should have put an owl on that picture with you and Aimee :D Gosh, you’re both so adorable:) I love your dimples, Faye ;) *girl crush alert!!!* I totally get what you mean by the age difference. Aimee and Melanie are both so mature and wise that you cannot help but see them as your own age. Mentally at least lol. And Andrea, Lauren, Jess, Jenny, Jenni, Giselle(s)–they’re all older than me, but they’re so freakin’ fun to talk to and I really don’t think about the age difference. They just are :) That’s everlovely with the bookish community :) Ahh, I hope you guys get to see each other more :) So happy for you!
    Siiri recently posted…Review: Coming Home by Priscilla GlennMy Profile

Haha, I wish it was even a good origami. I got so confused along the way I kinda just, erm, made the instructor do it for me because I WAS GETTING NOWHERE haha. AND YES! They truly are so mature and wise that it’s hard to think they’re younger than me. This is what I love about our bookish community! <3

Oh I love the fact that you two met at a bookstore! Isn’t that the dream? Connecting with somebody in the one place you both just love and feels like a second home? It makes sense that all you clicked if you guys had something in common! I love this post :)
    lily recently posted…Our Next Read {5}My Profile

Awww, it must have been an amazing childhood. Were you still in the Philippines then, or were you already in Canada?

I really hope that happens! We haven’t even gotten to that TFiOS movie date! ACtually, I haven’t even watched TFiOS yet…

Sounds like you had a lot of fun!

I sort of wish I can teleport to places like BEA (uh, no… not really for BEA, ha!) and other places. There’s not many Missouri book bloggers! >_<

Except for 1 that I know… but I've known her before she started blogging! O_o

Although Tintin looks familiar. I'm not sure where I may have met him!
    Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts recently posted…Looking for a co-blogger (or two)!My Profile

Haha, I really, really want to go to BEA at least once in the future. I really hope that chance materializes… it would be a dream come true for me not only as a reader but also as a blogger!

I recently got into Tintin because of the recent movie too – although I haven’t really read his comics, I went back and watched some of the older French films and really enjoyed them! It’s SO COOL that there is a store devoted to Tintin now in Manila! I really wish America was more into the comics! And it’s also cool that you got invited to their launch party! I hope you got some exclusive swag? :)

Reading about your first meeting with Aimee and Dre was awesome too – great pictures! And I’m glad you guys had such a great time!
    Charlene @ Bookish Whimsy recently posted…The Refined Reader (15) The Four Great Classical NovelsMy Profile

Oooh, I ddn’t know there were French films of this one! Are they in 2D? in that case, I definitely would love to read more about them! But hey, don’t you guys have Archie, too? ^^ I grew up reading that instead :)

I did get a figurine~ And a postcard~ and a CD. Haha.

I’d do this all over again if I could! It’s so fun, and the first meeting has that magical touch to it.

Aw, you guys! I’m so glad you were able to meet, and at such a fun event, too. (Little Brown gave away Tin Tin bags for their goodie bags at their party this weekend, and they are super bright and cute.) It’s always so great to meet other readers that you click with, and the fact that you live near each other is so handy.

Aimee and Dre are newer bookish friends to me, but they are really lovely to chat with, so I’m not at all surprised you guys got along so well! hope you guys get to do it again sometime.
    Wendy Darling recently posted…Foodie Tour of NYC + All Four Stars giveawayMy Profile

Awww, wish I had Tintin bags, too. There were tote bags in the shop, but I felt they were too expensive at the time, given how much pocket change I was bringing with me ^^;; Oh, well! And it’s definitely great to meet those people who jibe with you. I think I just found my new best friends :)

It’s no secret that I’m a little jealous of this meet up. Hahaha. So i really wish this wouldn’t be the last one. It’s really awesome that you guys have met. Just shows that there are decent people in the internet and that friendship is possible!

Hope to meet you guys someday!! xx

Lol, I just realized that this post is about Tintin. Anyway, I think he wouldn’t mind that I completely ignored him :P
    Paula M. @ Her Book Thoughts! recently posted…ARC REVIEW: The Fever by Megan Abbott a.k.a where everyone talks about their viginities.My Profile

Pft, I was asking around on Twitter, Paula! You should’ve told me you wanted to come! And you could walk-in in the event too so you could’ve done that also ^^ And yes, frienship is definitely possible, and how could it not when it’s the magic of books that bind us? <3

Haha, I don't think Tintin minds at all!

It looks like you ladies had such a fun time at this event! I met Jasprit last year when I visited the UK and we had a blast. It seems most of the time I’ve met a fellow book lover/blogger in person we’ve had so much to talk about because of our mutual love of books. Hope you get to meet Rashika soon! :)
    Rachel recently posted…Monthly Recap: JuneMy Profile

I know! It’s even better because prior to that meeting, you are already intimate with each other (in a platonic sense of course) so it feels like you’ve been friends forever despite meeting for the first time. And yes, hopefully I get to meet Rashika in the future…