Invitation: Brandon Sanderson Cosmere Read-Along (IT BEGINS!!!)

Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

Let me first say that I’m a huge fan of Brandon Sanderson, a master storyteller who has taken the fantasy genre by storm. I used to be quite wary of this genre due to the epic scales of the stories and the copious number of pages, but this author changed all that with his enchanting and compelling tales – full of grand splendor and amazing, well-written characters. He has written many series, all of them I’ve enjoyed, and it was therefore a great surprise when I discovered these books were all actually set in the same universe, and that behind all of them is a hidden narrative with an even more epic story, connected so intricately and subtly.

This discovery prompted me to reread everything again and experience all the stories for the first time, keen on catching the connections and “hints” that Sanderson has masterfully weaved into them. It is therefore with great honor that I invite all of you to join me on this epic journey to the Cosmere and immerse ourselves in its glory. I promise you that it will be an enjoyable ride every step of the way, as all of them are excellent and masterpieces in their own right.

Books to Read

These are the books that will be included. Because of the number of books that are in the universe, I am estimating that it will take 9 months at least to read them all, if we go by a one book a month schedule. If you are worried about reading schedules and assignments, don’t be, as I will provide them for you for a more structured and orderly reading (but don’t worry, you’re not obligated to follow them to the letter!).

In a nutshell, this will include:

• Monthly reading of fantastic books, novellas, and shorts.
  • Weekly Twitter Discussions using the hashtag #SandersonCosmere where we can all discuss the chapters we’ve read. Each week there will be assigned chapters to read and the discussion will only be limited to that.
  • But don’t worry! Everyday you can post your mini-reactions on the hashtag! That means while we have our weekly twitter discussions, you can still tweet on a random day, “OMG. On Chapter nn right now. This villain… I wanna kick his nuts. #SandersonCosmere”. Awesome, right?
  • A summarized post of everyone’s opinions at the end of the month.
  • Well, fun! And a lot of theory-making, villain-ranting, awesome-characters-raving!

Who can join?

• EVERYONE! If you’re a blogger, a reader, a lurker, well, we don’t care! We just want to read together with you and discuss stuff. In any case, the main platform to be used for discussions will be Twitter.

Keep in mind that this will take months to finish, as there are 9 main books in the universe (as of now). If you’re worrying about it affecting your other reading plans, don’t be! We are stretching at least for one book to have 3-4 weeks, so there’s ample time to read this and other books.

Interested? Come put your name, email address, and twitter profile here:

If you’re a blogger and want to shout to the rest of the world you’re a part of this awesome read-along (while also promoting it because pssst, the more the better), you can put this thumbnail in your sidebar linking back here!

Brandon Sanderson Read Along Logo

With that said, see you on August 11!!!

Comments

Haha, it will be a monthly thing, Paula! I’m pretty certain you’ll be able to buy them! Just… prioritize these books, okay? ;D It’ll be doing you a lot of good! Plus, it’s Brandon Sanderson! That enough should send you in a frenzy!

Hahaha! Aren’t we lurkers sometimes? ;) I definitely am guilty of lurking myself.

He does have YA Fantasy~ Steelheart and the Rithmatist which are both extremely amazing, as amazing as his high fantasies, in my honest opinion. I really recommend his The Rithmatist one. That one got me flipping pages like a maniac!

That would be awesome, Mel! Just sign up here and join us whenever you can. It would be deeply appreciated!

I haven’t read any of this author’s books. :( A LOT of people seem to be big fans of his books, so I do plan to try one of his books out soon. I don’t think I’ll participate in the read-along, though. Mistborn is the only one out of those that I’m interested in reading so far and I’m going to read it whenever I’m in the mood for it. Have fun with the reading and discussing. :)
    Kaitlin @ Reading is My Treasure recently posted…Stacking the Shelves (26) ~ A Week of SwagMy Profile

Oh, man, Kaitlin, you should try this author soon. You’re missing a lot, seriously, as his books are absolutely BRILLIANT in CAPITAL LETTERS. Haha. That’s too bad you won’t be joining us. I hope to see you among our ranks in our future read-alongs, then!

I haven’t read anything by Brandon Sanderson. I KNOW, RIGHT??! There is a fantastical gap in my reading heart. I’m hopeless at challenges and things, so I’ll probably just watch this from afar, but maaaaybe I’ll squiggle myself one of his books from the library and have a go. x) I’m nicely peer-pressured like that.
    Cait @ Notebook Sisters recently posted…Beautiful People Linkup #2: July EditionMy Profile

Ugh, Cait, you seriously need to amend this and start reading his books, ASAP! Even if it’s just his novella, The Emperor’s Soul, as that one will surely make you want to read more Sanderson books. Heehee.

Ugh, Amir! You can speak WoK for now and join us for his more shorter books~ Come on, you know you want to! Haha!

Yer absolutely shit-faced crazy for Sanderson, aren’t youse? I approvez. I think I want to join but the enormity of his universe plus the sizes of each book, man I’m overwhelmed every time but I want to join sosososo bad. I think I need a few to think. And I just LOVE you for doing this read-along, although I’m not a Sanderson fan. Yet.
    Stuti recently posted…The Isobel JournalMy Profile

Well, I won’t comment on this anymore as you’re officially a part of the roster now. Mehehhee.

Ah i havent read anything by this author before *hides* but bloggers always tend to love his books so i should really start reading them! Wish I could join the read along but i’m leavimg for Spain today and i’ll be busy with family so i’ll just fall behind :( Good luck with the read along though!
    Lily recently posted…The Truth About Alice:ReviewMy Profile

GAH. Seriously, Faye, I am so overwhelmed with books I’m supposed to be reading that I can’t even contemplate adding to the list, even if it is over a month from now before the readalong begins. Maybe when it gets closer to go-time things will have calmed down, and big, honkin’ fantasy books won’t make me freeze like a deer in headlights. *crosses fingers* Regardless, I know you’ll have fun ;)
    Jessica @ Rabid Reads recently posted…Mini Reviews: For a Few Demons More & The Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim HarrisonMy Profile

Wheee, I hope things calm down for you, Jessica. Seriously! And don’t worry if ever you decide to join the ride, it won’t be overwhelming, as the reading “assignments” should only be limited to 2-3 chapters a day!

Hey Faye! Just found out about this Sanderson read-along on Facebook, and it is awesome! As a huge Sanderson fan, I’m really tempted to join you guys! Just a question though, how will be the discussion held in Twitter? Only by posts? I have an account, but hardly use it nowadays.
    Cheers~!

Hi, Gui! Thank you so much! May I ask who shared our read-along? It would be nice to know who referred to you here!

And seriously come join! What we have in our arsenal are many book bloggers who recently read Brandon’s WAY OF KINGS and are eager to read more from him ;) As well as many other readers who I am meeting and will be reading with for the very first time! The discussions will be held on Twitter, yes. This is usually done by following the #SandersonCosmere hashtag. As long as you have that as your page, every post that has this hashtag will be available. We did this the last time I had a Way of Kings read-along, 2 hours every week, and everyone had a lot of fun! Suffice to say, there were times 2 hours were not enough.

• says

Hey Faye! I’ve heard about the read-along by the Stormlight Archive facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/TheStormlightArchive)
        Awesome! I will join you guys on this one! I’ve read pretty much all of the books above (except Emperor’s Soul & Words of Radiance [next in line]) and I’m crazy for Brandon’s work. Besides, I love doing re-reads :D It will be fun to discuss the Cosmere Universe with other people!

I agree~ I’ve read most of these too (except for the Mistborn series, so looking forward to that) but it’s the discussion that makes me want to reread it again, honestly. And many who have signed up are eager and passionate people for fantasy, so I’m really excited to see what they think about the Cosmere!

• says

Do people ever just start tweeting at random times through out the week using the hashtag? Because I’d like to. Sometimes I cannot contain my excitement while I read. I need audience for my enthusiasm!

YES! We actually did that :) Like everyday in our reading assignments, we would post our mini-reactions in the same hashtag, then let it all out on the discussion! Thanks for saying this, I forgot to put it in the post.

At first I thought it would just be one or two books, but nope, it’s an epic nine month readalong. Umm, whoaaaa. As much as I want to join I really can’t commit to something that epic! My school just gets in the way of everything. :(

Okay, so I am kind of embarrassed that I haven’t read ANYTHING by Brandon Sanderson, even though I know a ton of people who absolutely love his books! Well, I did try The Rithmatist (which I gave up because it was just too boring and confusing), and I read the first chapter of Steelheart in the bookstore, but his writing style there was jarring and I didn’t like it, so I didn’t get the book even though the premise was amazing. Sighhh. A friend of mine told me to try his adult fantasy books rather than his YA ones, though, so we’ll see how it goes. :)

Anyway, I so wish I could participate in this, but with my huge review pile right now (leftover from last year), it’s just impossible. :( All the same, thanks for organizing this, Faye! I’m looking forward to reading what you and everyone else has planned to post for this event.
    Megan (Adrift on Vulcan) recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: Blogging ConfessionsMy Profile

So I signed up days ago, but I’m only making my commenting rounds now. But YAAAAAAY! I know I’ll be reading his books anyway, but this provides good motivation. XD And wow. So many people signed up! This should definitely be fun. I wonder how much I’d get lost in Twitter discussions. Haha. I’m looking forward to this! I have to remember to buy the books though. Lol.

Also, can I just say how much I dislike the cover for The Alloy of Law. How in the world did Mistborn turn into that?! Haha
    Francine Soleil recently posted…I entitled this “Bananas in Pyjamas”

This was the…My Profile

10. Matt says

While there is no release date yet for the novel, I wonder if we should talk about adding White Sand. It could be out by the time we are finishing up.

Or we could all request White Sand from Brandon and have private chats about the book. He gives them out to anyone who asks (I currently asked and I don’t know what will happen).

He just released a novella/short story that’s part of an anthology called Shadows Beneath. The novella is also part of the Cosmere, and brings up SO MANY QUESTIONS. After reading that I’ve been meaning to do precisely this, but I wanted to hold off till we are closer to Stormlight #3. And also, I suck at read alongs. Once I start a book I can’t just limit myself to those chapters for that week. It’s torture xD

I might join your discussion though since I’ve read all the books at least once already, and I love discussing theories :)
    Nyx @ Unraveling Words recently posted…Upcoming Releases – Week of July 14thMy Profile

Faye, thanks for initiating this read along because I really want a lot of bloggers to know about Brandon Sanderson and his books. He’s the main reason why I started to read Epic Fantasy again. JRR Tolkien’s books have traumatized me. Good thing that Brandon existed and wrote a lot of amazing EFs.

I would really like to participate on this read-along but I have some questions. Will I still be required to read the ones that I’ve already read? I’m already finished with TWOK, WOR and Mistborn. And aside from tweeting randomly, is there going to be a fixed schedule for Twitter discussions weekly (i.e. Friday, Sat or Sun)?

I hope my questions make sense. I still need to fix my schedule and if I think that I can still squeeze this in then I’ll just go back to this post and sign up. :D

Thanks for inviting me! Woohoo!
    Charlotte @ Thoughts and Pens recently posted…Stacking the Shelves {29} + litRateMy Profile

This is such a great idea! Problem is though, I’ve already read Mistborn: The Final Empire, The Way of Kings, and right now I’m 700+ pages into Words of Radiance (it’s kind of amazing).

So I think I’m going to join you guys when you do the readings for Mistborn 2, 3 and 4 :)
    I’d love to read all of them eventually, but some of them (Mistborn 2 and Elantris especially) are in a long line up at the library *sigh*
    Anyway, have fun reading! Sanderson is awesome. :)
    Hanna @ The Waystone Owl recently posted…Anime Recommendation: Attack on TitanMy Profile

14. Cfornia says

I’m a little late to the party, but would love to read along as well. It looks like the link to add my name to list no longer works, can I still join?

Thanks!!

1. […] The Social Potato’s Brandon Sanderson Cosmere Read-a-long is ongoing and we’re currently reading Elantris. As of posting this, I’m way behind, but I hope to catch up soon. I think Elantris is Brandon Sanderson’s debut novel so it’s not yet as good as the others, but I am finding myself to liking it. I just wish I had a paperback so that it would be a lot easier on my eyes. […]