Potato Podcast #1: It Doesn’t Matter What You Read

It’s here! It’s finally here! Our very first episode of the Potato Podcast! Unfortunately, our dear Aimee wasn’t able to join us because at the time of the recording she had homework to do (among other things), so we dragged coerced asked Amir @ Not-So-Literary Heiresses to join us discuss about the Slate article that was posted a few weeks ago (I know, we’re very late to the party, but hey! Better late than never, right?), and how it doesn’t matter what you read as long as you’re reading.

For me, this is such an important discussion because there has been so much reader-shaming and book-shaming in our community when this should never be an issue in the first place. Isn’t the fact that we are reading more important? Why shame those who prefer to read more books from this demographic or the other?

Don’t miss out this episode folks, especially since Amir actually confesses to something veeeery juicy here… your secret’s out of the bag, my lovely! ;D

Is it not appearing? Listen to it HERE.

Thanks to:
Amir @ Not-So-Literary Heiresses
HappyCrab for the music “Alternative”

Comments

Aw, you guys are so cute! I’ll be sure to join you guys next time! :D (A Thursday morning!) Amir! Your voice is so adorable. <3 Aw, and I heard my name! xD I love how I can listen to this and do other stuff at the same time. ^_^
    Aimee recently posted…YA Fantasy Authors (Part One!)My Profile

Thanks, Aimee! I can’t wait to finally discuss things with you! And come on now, your voice is pretty adorable too :D That’s the beauty of podcasts… I always listen to Dj Mo Twister’s while I’m doing some manga work haha.

This was one of the best thing ever! :D I so love how you guys talked about it. I definitely agree. I was so enraged myself when that post came out. And I definitely agree with you Faye, when I recommend to my friends (classmates that didn’t read at all) I started with romance novels :D They got hooked then and they asked for a different genres (I feel so proud when I made my non-reading bff addicted to books :D) so yeah. Reading book, in general (whether YA, NA, Adult, Non-Fiction or whatever) is awesome.

And if you read, you are awesome. Period :D

I finally heard your voice Rashika! Ermergerd :D I’m kinda imagining you now, haha :D.

Thanks, Jules! I’m so glad to see that our podcast was very well received :) It gives me the warm fuzzies seeing all the wonderful comments you guys are leaving us. And yes! That article drove me mad so much. And I know, whenever my friends and family end up loving a book I gave them, I just smile to myself, very proud inside. There’s just something about possibly converting non-readers to a reader because of your recs ;D

THIS WAS SO COOL GUYS. It was SO ENLIGHTENING to hear you guys talk about this particular topic. I actually got a lot of insight from your discussion haha. I CAN’T WAIT FOR THE NEXT EPISODE! :D

Thanks, Miguel! I’m glad to know you learned something from our ramblings ;) We can’t wait for the next one either! You should guest sometime! :)

The second episode is up! And come on now, my voice ain’t that big of a deal. I wish I had Amir’s! Haha.

Haha, come on now, Amir! You were very much conscious then and you agree with a sound mind and heart ;) We need to do this more often, yes! You’re such a trooper <3

Haha, I think we just have some free time on our hands right now so we can do these stuff :P and it’s fun! I want more variety on the blog than the usual “review review review”. And this is just perfect since I can talk intimately with other bloggers, too!

Haha, we still need to know how to pronounce yours, Tanja! You need to guest on the podcast, too. And yes, it’s important that we are reading. If it’s Twilight, cool. If it’s Coraline, cool. If it’s a book about European Law, best of luck to you for reading that but that’s still cool. No need to be so judge-y, right? :D

Why is it that I’m the oldest but compared do you guys I sound 13?! Hahaha, I think I need to do some vocal exercises to deepen my voice. This was so much fun though! Thank you for forcing inviting me! Haha, kidding! But seriously, I loved doing this and will always be up to do more ;)

Awesome time with you awesome ladies <3
    Amir recently posted…Review: Don’t Fall by Rachel SchieffelbeinMy Profile

5. Laila BC says

it was nice to finally hear ur voices guys :) and this is a very interesting topic. even in ur choicw of reading ur being judge as well. i always think it for ur own personal pleasure and entertainment. i think it’s human nature’s crappy tendency to bring something down when it gets very very popular be it an artist, books, movie, music, celebrity. And now they target YA as not appropriate well they just come from jaded minded people. thanks for tackling this issue since im one of the minority readers who are like Amir age likewise and totally adores YA.

Aw, thanks, Laila! I’m glad to see that this topic is still relevant even after that Slate article. And I agree, we read because it pleases us. Why should people put their noses where it doesn’t belong? I keep asking this and I still can’t find the answer. There will always be someone out there who will never be happy for you.

This was really fun to listen to! It’s funny, because I was thinking of doing podcasts at some point too- because it’s so much trouble filming vlogs (editing is so annoying…) and I still want to do something a bit more personal than just the written word. Podcasts are great to listen to as well because you can do other things while listening :D

Also funny is that recently, one of my non-reader friends asked me “so, Nara. What are the different levels of books? I heard that YA is one of the lower ones?” and I was like -__- and gave him this lecture about how YA is just an age category and not a “level” of reading and how there was such a massive variety of books within that label etc. etc. haha

I hope you do many more of these in the future! :)
    Nara recently posted…Review: The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su and Kate RorickMy Profile

Definitely go the podcast route, Nara! I wanted to try my hand again at vlogging but ugh, the editing part is already making me nauseous and this way is just perfect! And the editing doesn’t take too long at all especially with Audacity at your disposal.

Man, that question really bugs me the wrong way. THERE IS NO SORT OF HIERARCHY OR ANYTHING. There are bad books in every demographic, and there are equally good books in each one, too. There should be no misrepresentations like this :(

This was fantastic ladies! It’s great to match voices to faces!! And the subject was one very dear to my heart!! It irks me so much!! Why do we have to continue with making lists and pointing fingers and trying to make people ashamed of what they READ!! I’m 33 and I LOVE reading YA!! I’m not ashamed of reading, I’m not ashamed of reading YA and I won’t ever shame anyone for their taste in books! I may or may not share it, but I don’t have to make others feel inferior to make myself feel better!!
    As Carmel said, you ladies do it all, no even postcasts!! I’m looking forward to more of these!! =D
    Pili recently posted…Friday Reads: Hexed by Michelle Krys!!My Profile

Thanks Pili! It does give a whole new dimension to how we see our online friends, doesn’t it? And I know what you mean, this topic irks me up to this day! I even checked out that author’s Twitter and it seemed like she was absolutely enjoying the negative publicity, which makes me believe she posted that in order to provoke the reading community anyway. ARGH!

“We should just celebrate the fact that people are reading” YES! You guys have nailed it, and YA is the reason that I am an avid reader today. I totally loved the passion that all of you guys displayed in the podcast and it was so lovely to hear you guys chatting online! Hahaha I loved how you guys were teasing Amir at the beginning too, very cute.

Great post ladies! Really great point about the manga and comic books, I mean that’s just lame.

I was talking to a work colleague the other day and I told her about my book blog and how I love YA books, and she’s like what you mean like Twilight? I’m like yeah, but also like Hunger Games, The Fault in Our Stars and Divergent and she perked up and was more interested afterwards. There is such a bad preconception out there and Slate is probably swallowing her words now by seeing all the kick back after it.

Great podcast ladies, I really enjoyed it!
    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence recently posted…Happy Indulgence Turns 2 + GiveawaysMy Profile

Same here, same here. Before I got introduced to YA, I was a very slow reader. Like, I would only read one book eveyr 4-5 months. For real. And before that I was only addicted to reading manga, which isn’t bad, but books definitely have more complexity in them that I find fulfilling, and it was through YA that I found this love for reading. Seeing someone downplay this market so much just makes me want to punch a wall… hard.

I know… YA isn’t limited to a few books. There are so many other out there, many that are even better than the popular ones! Hopefully movies like THG, TFiOS, and Divergent will motivate the newer generation to read more. There are so many gems waiting to be found…

“Live-commenting” while listening to this:
    OMG your voices are so cute hahaha.
    Yes, definitely agree that Amir reads way too much horror.
    Wow, Eroticas hahaha never read one WOW 16 YEARS OLD I’m IMPRESSED. You had no excuse to stop reading lol.
    Hi 60 year old man Rashika
    OMG AMIR IS 31 WAIT WHAT I THOUGHT SHE WAS 18?

Wow that Slate article, it was in May I remember. But that article, just, ugh. I think anyone should be able to read anything without being judged, whether that means YA, Erotica, Classics, Childrens, ANYTHING. Like really? Why does it matter to anyone what someone reads.

Guys, please keep doing podcasts, they are hilarious. And I agree with Faye’s tweet about using headphones with mics. They sell those for maybe around $10 (or whatever currency), the ones that include headphones with a little mic attached to the wires. But I can still all understand you guys! AND THE BACKGROUND MUSIC wow I just noticed that.
    Valerie recently posted…Meeting Authors and Book SigningsMy Profile

Haha, Rashika’s and Amir’s are cute, but mine is so deep and manly-like that it’s just… ugh. Ella and Aimee did say it sounded mature, so I’ll pretend that was a compliment. HAHAHA.

And I know, 16 year old! When I was 16, I read murder mysteries by James Patterson, not erotica. Man, Amir, naughty naughty!

And yeah, it shouldn’t matter to anyone what they read. I mean I question Amir’s friends who introduced her to erotica at such a tender age (HAHAHA) but it’s not like I’m going to condemn any of them for reading erotica. If that’s what they wanna read and if they’re going to be responsible of what they read, then I have really no qualms about that. Do what makes you happy. It’s none of my business, right?

And we will! The Potato Podcasts aren’t going away anytime soon! :D

10. Larissa says

Haha I always find it interesting to hear what people sound like when I haven’t met them lol c: I would so be up for this, just saying[; I love talking about books and hearing people talk about books, which is why I enjoyed hearing y’all talk about my favorite subject.

Ugh I remember that article >.< it was so off base, and frankly enraged me. It's /my /decision to read what I want to, and sorry but nobody else is going to tell me otherwise or shame me for doing so. You shouldn't prevent others from reading what they enjoy and love.

Can't wait to see more of these c:

You’re next in line, Larissa! ;) And yeah that article felt like it was written just so it could elicit a strong reaction from this… I wonder if they were actually really expecting negative publicity? You never know people these days. Many are so desperate, and I’m sure that article gave them the page views they wanted!

So glad to hear your voice, guys. You sounded like you really had a great time. It’s funny how you teased Amir about reading erotica. I was so surprised that she read an erotica when she was 16. I think I was the same age when I read my first erotica too. Haha!

That Slate article infuriated me as well. No one should dictate what you read. You have the freedom to read whatever you like and being judged by what I read just doesn’t sit well with me.

Love this podcast! When will be the next episode? :)
    Sarah P. recently posted…When I met Stephanie Perkins…and Jarrod!My Profile

Yes! We really did have a great time XD Man, you guys sure matured fast! When I was 16, my reading tastes were pretty… well, not sure what to call it, but I was more into comics than anything else :P And yeah, no one should ever do something like that. You read what you want to read, period. No one should be ashamed of that.

Oh god I love the name ‘potato podcast’ so much LOL! I just had to mention that & I love how for your first podcast you talked about this topic. I’m noticing a lot of book shamming going on in book the bookish community and just in general and it’s a very sensitive topic for me because I for one get angry when anyone has anything to say about what I do and don’t like to read. I don’t find it anyone’s busincess so when people open their mouths and say this or that about certain books I get very angry. Lovely post!
    Lily recently posted…Beautiful Oblivion (Maddox Brothers #1):ReviewMy Profile

Haha, I love that name, too! It sounds pretty catchy, doesn’t it? And yeah, our first topic was supposed to be about blogger interaction, but Aimee was like, “Hey, that Slate article just came out, why don’t we talk about that?” and it actually turned very fitting for our debut :D

And yes, I know :( I wouldn’t like it if someone was snobby about the stuff I read. When I go to the bookstore, I immediately go to the Young Adult section, and thankfully, no one has given me any weird looks! Yeah, I’m in my 20s now, got a problem with that? … is what I would have told them :P

Hearing your voices was so interesting! :DDD But sadly, I didn’t have the time to finish it, so I can’t leave anything great right now. But I do plan on finishing it!

And may I just say I applaud you guys? For the part that I listened to, it was so smooth and confident and interesting, while if it was me, there would be an uhhh in every other sentence.
    Shannelle C. recently posted…The Perkins Project: Some Theories for Isla and the Happily Ever AfterMy Profile

Aw, thanks! I hope you find the time to finish the rest of it. I can really say our discussion near the end was the most interesting *ahem*

I know, I’m so pleased that it went so well. I was fearing there would be a lot of awkwardness, but naaah. My friends have special skills to pull this off with me ;)

Awww, thanks, Cristina! It makes me really happy to know that you loved it! Your enthusiasm is giving me the warm fuzzies :3 You need to share with us your bad erotica books! I am terribly curious indeed…

I love this SO much! Wonderful job ladies! <3 I agree with all your points here. It shouldn't matter what you read. The focus should be that you're reading at all and trying to make time in your schedule for it. Nothing you enjoy should be ridiculed, and I feel this article is just plain judgmental. The three of you have brought up some FABULOUS points, so bravo to you! :D Thanks for sharing, and I can't wait to listen to another one of these! <3
    Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf recently posted…Do You Ever Feel TOO Critical?My Profile

Thank you, Zoe! What you read should never be anyone’s business, unless, of course, they’re interested about it and you’re about to convince them why they should read it… mwahahaha!

I know! I think many people are grateful for ebooks because of that… nobody will judge you since they can’t see the cover of the book you’re reading.

This is awesome, ladies Really fun!
    The article made me kind of mad too, I definitely don’t think any age group should be embarrassed about reading anything. And I think it was Amir(?) that made the great point about there shouldn’t even be definitions like this where teens should be embarrassed about reading MG, adults about reading YA, etc. and I completely agree! There’s something in every book for everyone. The coming of age part was definitely humorous ^^ loved it!

Thanks, Alise! Awesome to know that you had fun listening to us. And yeah, that article was all kinds of shitty. It sucks when labels are being given to books and then people judge you for it. Besides, I read a bit of MG from now and then, and I really enjoy them! Some of them are pretty dark, too!

“I’m a 60 year old man” AHAHAHAHAHAHA Omg high five! I’m a 60 old man as well!

I loved this podcast so much though. It’s such an amazing way to talk about this topic. I completely agree that people should be able to read whatever they want. That article really was ridiculous. I was waiting for that part at the end where it’s like “just kidding” or something but it was dead serious. Like why the hell should anyone be embarrassed? ==’

I can’t wait for me of these podcasts! I love all your voices so much. Can’t wait to hear Aimee’s. Ina completely not-stalkerish way. ;)
    Laura Plus Books recently posted…Stacking The Shelves #39: Landline & MasqueradeMy Profile

HAHA! You and Rashika are grandpas now :3

And yeah, definitely. I love how all of us three were able to contribute to the subject at hand and how we were able to let the conversation flow smoothly. I don’t think there will ever be a “just kidding” anytime soon, considering how the author of that article seemed to enjoy her negative fame…

Super cute giggling gerties. I thought Amir was going to reveal something really shocking, but that’s funny :D Rashika, you’ve totally found your calling, I loved your justification and sass.

When’s the next postcast and where can we get involved too? Loved it!
    Kelly recently posted…Storm by Brigid KemmererMy Profile

What, only Amir’s?! Hereeeesy! Haha, just kidding. And yes, read what you want to read. Let it out and be proud of it!

This was fun, ladies! Nice to hear all of your voices ;) The only thing I have to add is that arguments about good and bad YA aside, there’s a lot of crap adult lit out there too. I’ve been very vocal about my displeasure at being told I should be embarrassed about anything that I read, but the fact is there’s just as many bad books in the adult genres (MORE even) then in YA. But somehow it’s better if I’m reading a crap adult book than a good YA book? I call shenanigans.
    Jessica @ Rabid Reads recently posted…Review: Ruin and Rising by Leigh BardugoMy Profile

Thanks, Jessica! We can’t wait to hear your voice, too. Make sure to use your Southern one when you hop on our podcast, okay? I’m sure all the book bloggers and readers listening will be swooning to the moon and back. Mehehhehe.

And yeah, I’ve tried a couple of Adult ones myself and there were a few that were pretty awful. I reviewed a few on here, and can’t even remember their names anymore. There’s something good for everyone, and there’s something bad for everyone, too. It’s all fair game, I see, and singling out a single demographic is just unfair.

Awwww, it makes me happy to know we were able to make you laugh! Did you laugh while riding the bus, or the MRT, or what? Haha! You should join us sometime, when your wifi’s stable :)

That guy who lent Amir the Anne Rice book is totally asking for some. HAHAHA. And I’m so surprised to hear her voice! Not at all what I imagined. XD Anyway, I really love this discussion. I have been one to be embarrassed by what I read sometimes because some people made me feel that way. But I think that I’m a lot more confident now because I do think that people shouldn’t be shamed for what they read. We all have different tastes in books, and I’m pretty sure we pick up something from each literary piece of work. And it’s so true that our tastes can evolve over the years of reading. We can love or hate a book now, but might not feel the same in the future. Or it can still be the same if the book is that good. The point is that we should just read whatever we want. We shouldn’t allow people to shame us into thinking we’re doing the wrong thing. I’m 21 and I enjoy Middle Grade books, as well as other genres.
    Francine Soleil recently posted…Music Monday! (I guess.)

Somebody Out There by A Rocket to the…My Profile