Potato Strip #2: Blog Name Part 2

Hi, guys! Welcome to the awesome feature here on The Social Potato! Here, we feature weakly”comic strips”, drawn and told by yours truly, talking about whatever stories we want to tell. Right now, I’ve decided to draw about how The Social Potato came to be, right from the very beginning! Once this “volume” finishes, we’ll try out different other stories! In any case, I really hope you like it!

Potato Strip #2: BLOG NAME Part 2

Strip2

Click to see larger resolution

I don’t know about you guys, but when I first told some close friends and family of mine about my blog name, a lot were pretty confused about what it was about. Come on, it’s The Social Potato, and potato is… well… a food. Mashed potatoes, french fries, chips… and they were a bit puzzled why I should be talking about books, of all things, with a potato name. But no matter, it’s cute, right?! And it’s catchy! And I can make potato mascots! (Okay, maybe I’m not too happy about that…)

What about you? What did your family or friends think about your blog name? Did you get any weird reactions?

Comments

Awww, thank you, girl! I love this feature, too. It’s so nice to share my frustrations when I was starting it and using my artistic skillz, or whatever is left of it anyway, to draw a comic showing it. Heehee. I miss you!

1. laila bc says

this is really funny Faye :D hahaha! this is a very very nice and engaging feature :) i have no blog for now…so i have no idea what to name it if someday i do get the courage to make one. maybe “turn the pages” or something like that.

Thanks, Laila! I’m so glad you like it! I just posted my third comic, so I hope you check it out soon. Turn the pages as a blog name is very cool and so bookish! I look forward to tis creation in the future ;)

Haha, I do understand why they were confused by it, but having a name that doesn’t define you as a book blogger gives you a lot of space to do more :D And those potatoes are cute. I don’t think they even know the name of my blog! They know what I do and they’ve probably seen it when I showed them the design, but I don’t think they still remember it.
    [email protected] recently posted…Review 285. Amy Zhang – Falling into place.My Profile

It really, really does! I can make TV show recaps and maybe even post game reviews if I wished and people won’t be so weirded out by it ;) They’ll just see us as potatoes raving haha. Aw, that’s too bad! Maybe you can get them to guest post so they’ll remember it better? HAha.

Thank you so much! :) I wish I had thought of making a pen name when I first started… it would make things really easier for me not to be traced by “undesirable” people if you know what I mean… haha.

LOVE LOVE LOVE these comic strips <3 totally awesome. And The SOcial Potato is such a great blog name :D my mum knows about my blog because she started wondering about why I was getting so many books in the mail – I had to tell her about it, lol. Plus, it has "The Loony Teen Writer" written on the packages! But everyone knows I'm crazy so it's not much of a shock to them :P
    Emily @ The Loony Teen Writer recently posted…Why I’m slightly scared to write negative reviewsMy Profile

Thank you so much, girl! I love our blog name, too. I’ve had so many blogs and this name is probably the only one that really sticks with me… and probably the only blog that I’ve endured for two years… (haha, funny I use the word “endured” as if this were a big burden or something…) I love your blog name, too! It’s so catchy!

ARE YOU NOT-SO-SECRETLY WRITING AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY, FREYR???? I’m SO up for that. Also, I did not know your name was Freyr before the first strip. I love it. :) I told my family and they were excited only because I was excited. These days I have to struggle to keep them away. If they want to torture me or get something outta me, they threaten to read my blog. :c
    Stuti recently posted…September Books’ Reviews: Part 1My Profile

I AM CERTAINLY NOT WRITING AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY… I MEAN IT’S NOT EVEN ME… IT’S JUST… A “representation” of me… if that makes sense. Haha! My name is definitely not Freyr, but it’s close enough to “Faye”, so it’s good enough, right? I’m sure your family will love your blog, Stuti :P Don’t be such a worrywart! Haha. I enjoy reading your posts, they will, too ;)

Awww haha! Glad to see that you’re continuing with these, soon you’ll be able to tell the whole story about the start and rise of this lovely blog. It’ll be like a journey through awesome comic strips c: I loved this one too and it made me giggle. I can totally see my parents being confused if my blog was named something like The Social Potato. I mean they’re really confused by just the concept of having a book blog in general. They do know I blog though and while I can see why some may be more secretive of it, that’s not for me haha.
    Larissa recently posted…Review: Sacrifice by Brigid KemmererMy Profile

I know! I mean, it’s not really an epic story of the sort, but I’m excited to explain the little bits and pieaces of events that happened. I’m glad to have tickled your funny bone, girl! That’s an achievement for me, believe me ;)

Happy to know that you loved our nice little feature here, Lily! It definitely warms my heart to know that you love it! <3 <3 Oh silly you, nothing wrong with your blog name either ;) It's LILY!

That last box… xD So cute! When I started blogging… Actually, they didn’t know about my blog until I attended the VTR event (well, not until the Tintin event for my dad!) and I mentioned that I met some fellow bloggers. And then I told a few cousins and school friends, and they didn’t bother with the blog name, really. They were just shocked that I blogged at all!
    Aimee @ Deadly Darlings recently posted…Mini Review: Dark Days by Kate OrmandMy Profile

Haha, why were they shocked? You are so natural in it, Aimee, it’s like it sings in your blood ;) In any case, I’m glad you’re blogging cause you’re so good at what you do!

OMG I HAVEN’T SEEN THIS FEATURE UNTIL NOW!! It’s awesome! And you drew it?!! Sooo cool. And btw, I totally love our blog name. ;) I think it’s perfect and it actually sounds different and unique! Like there are so many blogs with books and ink and paper in the title it just gets…confusing sometimes. I never forget your blog’s name. XD
    Cait @ Notebook Sisters recently posted…Goodbye August || Stacking the Shelves #30My Profile

Awww, thanks, girl! I appreciate all the kind words ^.^ I’m so happy to know you like our blog name, too! I seem to have a penchant for using bizarrely worded names… my scanlation site is even weirder XD

Hot damn! Cookbooks?! ROFLOL! Your comic strips are really funny and so kawaii. What is the average number of hours your spending just to make a single strip? I will say this again, your blog name is really cool. :D And of course, it makes me hungry just thinking of all the recipes I can do with a potato. Mwahahahaha.

As for your question, uhm, only my third sister knows that I have a book blog. My parents and my other siblings and my friends do not know that I am a blogger. All they know is that I love reading a lot of blogs. XD I don’t think I’m going to inform them because I am afraid that they would make fun of me. Bwahahahahaha.
    Charlotte @ Thoughts and Pens recently posted…Book Review: Burying WaterMy Profile

Haha, don’t mind my dad… I’m pretty sure he was joking at the time, but still, come on, like I’d review cookbooks! Haha. Thank you so much for appreciating them :D It takes me 2-3 hours at still, with being distracted already included. Haha.

Awwww, I’m sure they won’t! My family is actually pretty proud I have a book blog. My father has been boasting about it to everyone!

Thanks, Alex! You’re so sweet!

I’m happy to know that you didn’t automatically think of cookbooks, but couch potatoes have also been one of the most frequently thought stuff too upon seeing the blog name for the first time… lol. Don’t worry, I don’t blame you ;) I’m a couch potato in nature so I guess it fits, anyway!

I guess your blog name would perfectly fit a food blog to be honest, so I can understand their reaction. Although it’s also one of the things I like about your blog name how it totally doesn’t fit the expectations we have for a book blog name.
    My blog name is pretty simple and as I already had been co-bloggin for a while no one was surprised when I started my own book blog.
    Lola recently posted…Sunday Post #90My Profile

HAHAHA, I can see how it would be perfect for the food blog, too! If I’m going to be doing a food blog, I’d probably name it “The Gluttonous Potato” or something like that. Okay, maybe that doesn’t sound like that great of an idea after all… “The Eating Potato”? Ah, I need to think over this one!

Anyone would be confused, I think, so I don’t blame you at all! If I didn’t know it was a book blog, I wouldn’t think it was a book blog, but maybe something for a traveling food critique lol. But thank you so much! I’m happy that it stands out! At least I did something correctly XD Jiha’s File reminds me a lot of the X-Files so it’s pretty awesome in my book~

I love my dad a lot! He’s been with me through my very erratic hobbies, and have even been secretly writing reviews for my fanfics to “encourage” me. LOLOLOL. What a dad this dad. And thank you for thinking so!! That’s such a high compliment coming from you.

That’s okay if you don’t feel like sharing. There are just things in our lives that we want to keep to ourselves. It feels so much more personal and intimate that way!

I love your little potato mascots Faye!!! They’re adorable:) And I like that your blog name is different and unique, that makes it memorable:) I don’t really remember what any friends or family said to me when I told them the name of the blog, I think they were just more surprised I was starting a book blog than anything else:)
    Jenny @ Supernatural Snark recently posted…Review: FirebugMy Profile

Thank you so much, Jenny! You’re too bloody kind! And I really aimed for it to be different and unique, and at least I succeeded in that aspect, even if it does sound pretty silly in hindishgt. LOL.

Hahaha! I can totally picture that conversation going down in RL, and great job on the comic strip. I don’t discuss my blogging hobby with my family because my dad’s tech-clueless, and my sister doesn’t read books, so… It’s kind of a exercise in futility. One’s like ‘what’s a blog?’ while as the other is like ‘you READ books for FUN!?’ Yeah… LOL
    Carmel @ Rabid Reads recently posted…Review: Ghost Layer by Robin D. OwensMy Profile

Thank you so much, Carmel! Trust me, this comic strip pales in comparison to the laughs my dad had when he heard my name. Awww, that’s kinda sad you don’t have anyone in your family to share it with… haha. I’m the only one who reads extensively in my family, but it’s great for them to understand what I do :D

Thank you so much, Jeann! That’s the goal, to stick in your minds and never let go! BAHAHAHA! It’s step one of my world domination ;)

Lol, Faye! I think Filipinos would immediately jump into food thoughts because we’re crazy about potatoes. XD I love this feature so much and I don’t think I’ve said it enough but I’m so jelly at how good you are at drawing. As a personal rule, I don’t tell my friends my blog name because it seems so cheesy unless you’re a bookish person. I don’t have enough bookish friends around outside of blogging to be able to survive the taunting and teasing! haha
    Sarah P. recently posted…Review: The Empress Chronicles by Suzy VitelloMy Profile

Potatoes AND rice. But then again, The Social Rice would be pretty darn nonsensical, and it doesn’t sound as cute, as much as I prefer rice over french fries! Hahaha. Thank you so much, I’ve improved my drawing skills since then XD Not many actually know my blog, too! Only a certain few, and those that follow me on Twitter (they unfortunately have to endure my countless marketing tweets lol)

Cool. You really called your dad? I’m so envious of your relationship with your Dad then. Looks like you’re pretty close.

I also thought that you named it “Potato” because you love potatoes. Your drawing is pretty awesome! More please!!
    Irish recently posted…Manga: Hirunaka No RyuuseiMy Profile

Ooooh, I didn’t know you had that! I’m thinking of starting a food blog myself, but I need to come up with a better sounding name. Hopefully, still with a potato because I want to keep using this brand.

LOL! I never really flaunted my blog name all around… nor even mentioned it. I am starting to talk about it… a little.

It took me DAYS to come up with a blog name though. Maybe weeks. O_O

Months later I thought about a different names. Lot less shorter. But I’m keeping mine. I do think someone mentioned dragons once… books about dragons?

But like Irish said, I thought you liked potatoes. And that you liked to socialize. O_O
    SophiWaterheart recently posted…2014 Debut Authors Bash: Christina Farley – Guest Post + GiveawayMy Profile

HAHAHHAHAHA, girl you pretty much made a story out of my blog name and I love it! I do agree that it sounds friendly, though. I haven’t thought of that!

Not many of my friends and family know about mine, too. I mean, of course, my immediate family does because they noticed the piles of books I keep receiving, but yeah, among my friends, it’s a secret as well. I don’t openly talk about it, either!

Oh, I do love this Potato Strip feature, Faye! It is hugely enjoyable, and I think the story behind your blog name is super neat! Though… I would love to see some bookish food recommendations from you, because that would be quite great, and eating whilst reading, though potentially dangerous, can also be potentially awesome.
    Romi recently posted…The Astrologer’s Daughter by Rebecca Lim…My Profile

You’re so talented, Faye! I would never be able to draw as well. I’ve always wondered how you came up with your blog name, and I think I would’ve had the same reactions as your dad. Lol! Still, there is no confusing you with other more generic book blog names. :)
    Rachel recently posted…Showcase Sunday #58My Profile

Thank you, Rachel! I’ve been drawing since I was a kid so I have some background haha. There is no confusion indeed, there is only one Social Potato and that is me! Bahaha!

So adorably cute Faye! I remember when I first visited, I think it was Aimee who first left a comment on my blog (that’s how I discover new blogs, I’m too lazy to go looking) and I thought, Social Potato… What on earth is a social potato? Then I realised, that’s clever. A social butterfly online without leaving her couch. But then you told me how you’d come up with it as a play on words for The Social Network, and now I’m lost again. Whatever the case, it’s unique and stands out among so many other generic blog names (mine included).

You’re so bloody talented Faye <3
    Kelly recently posted…Belzhar by Meg WolitzerMy Profile

Whoa, Kelly, your explanation how my came to be was way too deep for my brain to comprehend! I wished the background story was that thought-out and beautiful, hahaha. As it turns out, it was a pretty shallow reason, eh? Bahaha!

Well, your dad is funny. That’s for sure. Hahaha!

The truth is… nobody from my friends knows about my blog </3 Lol. But I started telling them just a month ago. They actually thought that the name fits my blog and that it's a good name. HA. I was so glad they think that.
    Paula M. @ Her Book Thoughts! recently posted…THE To-Be-Read TAG!My Profile

You should tell them, or at least your closest friends! I told some of them and two of them proceeded to become my co-bloggers for a while, although it didn’t last lol

Haha, I don’t blame you at all for thinking that at all! I would think it was pretty weird, too~ But at least it’s unique, yes? Haha.

I think you have to be of a certain mindset to get the name ‘Social Potato’ right off the bat. Certainly I wouldn’t expect parents to get it right away. :p

Back when I first came up with my blog name, long before I had any success or long term plans for blogging, I decided upon No Book Unread. It was originally going to be No Book Unread Project but I decided to plan for the long term in case I actually completed my project. I thought I had such a cool and original name. In retrospect I really should brainstormed a little more. I don’t really consider No Book Unread all that original any more, but I will at least admit that it rolls off the tongue quite nicely, so there’s that at least.
    fatalerrer recently posted…To the Ends of the World – (Sojourn – Final)My Profile

Haha, very good point, my friend. Kudos to anyone who gets it instantly XD

No Book Unread is like an awesome name, dude. It’s like you’re really planning to devour all of the books in existence, and I have to say, that’s not a bad goal to aspire ;)