Recaps, Rants, Raves: The 100 Season 2, Episode 8 – “Tears. Tears Everywhere.”

Recaps, Rants, Raves is a sporadic feature here at The Social Potato where we’ll share our thoughts of a TV show every Saturday! For now, we have the second season of The 100!

Disclaimer: Ahead are recaps, reactions, and rants about the CW show The 100. If you haven’t watched the episode or the series, and you plan to do so, it is advised not to proceed due to inevitable spoilers. Otherwise, enjoy!

AFK. IN TEARS AT THE MOMENT.

The Episode in a Nutshell:

*still sobbing*

My Thoughts:

1.) Isn’t it scary when one will turn on their friend when their survival is on the line?

As soon as the people found out that giving up Finn was necessary for them to survive a slaughter in the hands of the Grounders, they readily held their pitchforks as if wanting to kick him out right that very second. I found it so creepy how this mob mentality quickly envelops us when it means life or death, but I couldn’t really blame them either for feeling that way. Any either/or situation is hard. It’s either everyone else or one person, even if that person is your friend. To be completely honest, at that moment when Clarke walked back to camp with the grim news, I didn’t know what I would prefer if I were in their shoes.

In a way, Lincoln was right. Finn did kill eighteen innocents, and he must account for what he did. He has to be responsible. But at the same time, Clarke was right, too – Finn wasn’t at the right state of mind. But, in the end, does that mean his actions, which were very grave indeed, should be excused? Of course no, but does that mean giving him, then, to the people he has wronged and will give him due punishment? Now that’s hard. In this case, it’s really a matter of choosing the greater good or the lesser evil.

Although, I do admit being surprised that Jaha actually wanted Abigail to consider giving Finn up. Since he was all, “We must do everything to survive!” I had thought he would fight tooth and nail to make sure he survives, too, but then again, he did sacrifice himself so that others may live at the end of Season 1. He lived the motto of choosing the greater good, even if it meant being alone in the Ark to die while others enjoy a new life down below. If he were in Finn’s shoes, he would probably have given himself up without hesitation.

2.) Not only did this episode rip my head apart whether or not to give Finn up, it also just had to make us decide whether he gets punished in our terms or theirs.

Marcus came back in this episode (and surprisingly uninjured), raising the hope to give Finn a chance by, yes, giving him up, but at least taking the reins on how he will be punished. At this point, I was starting to feel that they felt the outcome would be inevitable… because think about it, their outnumbered by the Grounders, even if they have more technology by their side. Guns are useless if you are surrounded by all sides – you may take half, but a shooter may not see a blade coming at their neck from behind. So if the inevitable happened, if they could at least have Finn punished in their own terms, maybe at least his agony wouldn’t be made a show.

And honestly, this part really made me feel sad. Maybe I even resigned myself to the fact that there was no avoiding what would come next.

3.) Goddamn it, and it’s so hard to dislike Finn right now.

This was a very Finn-centric episode. Not only because the entire survival of our gang is on his shoulders (or his life, if we are to take the situation literally), but because here it is shown what happened to him in the Ark and why he was imprisoned. You all know my hate for Finn in my previous recaps, but in this episode I just wanted to hug him and say that his actions never defined him. What he was was a man who loved and gave himself to the people he loved. Like when he was still with Raven – he gave her something so precious and memorable on her birthday, a chance to walk in zero gravity with the whole universe as the view, but when a breach takes place and someone had to become responsible for what was done, he took her place so she wouldn’t be floated away. He went to jail to protect Raven.

And I just can’t hate someone like that. I just can’t.

Even if what he did was wrong (and it was wrong in so many ways), he went there in the first place to look for Clarke. Because he loved her. Because he wanted to protect her, and he was going crazy thinking what might have become of her, and I can’t hate him for his intentions (I do abhor the actions, though, make no mistake). Even Clarke realized this later on, that the person in front of her was someone who would do anything for her, even sacrifice himself to keep her safe.

And sacrifice he did. He later gave himself up, destined to be slaughtered in the most painful way possible, for all the world to see. I cried for him and I admired him at the same time, because he exchanged his life just so Clarke and the rest can live and not be subjected to the blades of the Grounders. It was such a heart-clenching moment when he walked to that pole and looked at the sky as if resigned to his fate, but showing no regrets at all.

“But Finn is guilty.”

“No, he did it for me. He did it for ME.”

“Then he dies for you.”

Even Clarke knew it was inevitable. There was no other outcome, because there won’t be peace between the two unless this last blood was shed. No kind of negotiation would make Lexa and the Grounders merciful, no kind of trade or offer would soften the fire of hatred in their hearts, so she did the only merciful option that was left – killing Finn herself while telling him she loved him, giving him one last good memory before he dies, making him feel loved and appreciated and not be made a spectacle for the others to see.

And it was so heartbreaking. I cried like a baby.

“Thanks, Princess.”

OVERALL

Still crying.

Rating Report
Plot
Characters
Writing
Impact
Overall: 4.9

Comments

YES, IT IS. I don’t ever want to be in a crossfire of one. It would be all kinds of effed up to see people turning on each other!

Um, I SOBBED. I am tearing up just reading your recap! I wasn’t a huge fan of Finn either, but you are so right- you couldn’t NOT like him after what he did for Raven, and how good of a guy he HAD been. I think really, the problem here was that they are in this very cruel and unforgiving world, and there are so very few resources. In society today, we’d declare him mentally incompetent and keep him in a comfortable psychiatric facility to spend his days so he didn’t hurt anyone else. Weeellll… not an option here! So what do you do? You can’t just leave him to murder people whenever he has a case of the weepies. And the Grounders are so damn vicious! I know Clarke did the right thing, the best thing, but it was so hard to watch, knowing that she is going to have to live with knowing that she’d killed him.

The ONLY thing that didn’t fully tug on my heartstrings is that I never really felt any chemistry between Clarke and Finn. I think they loved each other, but in a friend way more than anything, so it was a little easier to handle in the end (not much, but a little). GREAT recap!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight recently posted…Review: Vanishing Girls by Lauren OliverMy Profile

Huhuhu, I feel so sad just thinking about what happened to him. It’s like, NOOO HE CAN’T BE DEAD, but he is, and I feel so terrible about it. And to think in my previous recaps I was like “FINN GO DIE IN A DITCH” but I am so regretting those words now :( I wish I had appreciated him more in the previous episodes :( And yes, the world in this show is really unforgiving… so many view it so black and white.

Me, too, I never really liked Clarke and Finn together… the chemistry just wasn’t there. Like you, I think Clarke loved him too, just not in a romantic way, but she loved him all the same and I’m glad she told him so. :(

2. Laila BC says

MAAAANNNN! FAYEEE! WHY YOU DO THIS TO MEEEE??? i got teary eyed dammit! and i am just imagining all these recap in my effin’ head! WHAT A WAY TO GO…at least till the end he was “terminated” with a decorum of dignity and in the hands of someone who loves him the best in his last moment.
    Bless you for this recap. You are the best as always Faye :)

Haha, it’s so weird that you’re feeling this way simply from my recaps, Laila! You should just watch the show already! :)) And I agree, he died at least with his dignity intact :( His agony wasn’t made a spectacle, and he deserved that at least.

Yay, more The 100 fans! :D That episode was scary and heart-wrenching and overall phenomenal. On the one hand, what Finn did was unforgivable, but on the other hand, you just want to hug him and tell him it’s gonna be okay. I love how this show just keeps making you question your own morals and convictions. It was Finn who wanted to initiate peace talks when everyone else wanted slaughter after all, but then it was also Finn who went on a killing spree when he thought he’d lost the girl he’s in love with. I love how they juxtaposed the Raven flashbacks to what was happening in the present: when Finn breaks the law for his girlfriend to give her a meaningful birthday gift it’s cute (and the sacrifice later on just makes you like him more), but when he takes it to the absolute extreme and murders innocent people in a desperate need to find Clarke, it’s definitely not cute anymore. He might not even be able to redeem himself. I think the writers of the show kind of HAD to kill him afterwards, but it would have been very interesting to see what they’d have done with him if they had dared to keep him alive.
    Vlora recently posted…Seven Annoying People You Will Meet On Trains (And Other Public Transportation)My Profile

That’s what I love the most about this show, and it’s that it really questions our morality and puts it in a context that’s entirely different. In our world, we may not tolerate a certain behavior, but in that world, we may reconsider considering the circumstances (i.e. Murphy). And yes, it’s amazing just how a person can change so much :( They only need a catalyst, a strong enough catalyst, to go loony, and we definitely saw that in Finn and in his dark moments.

OMG Faye, this episode broke me as well. I wasn’t much of a Finn fan, and seeing the footage of him and Raven on the ship and how he sacrificed himself for her then, if only they had of shown that earlier. But then again, seeing that after his little romp with Clarke could have made us only hate him more. I was shocked though, I expected a last minute reprieve for Finn, someone always swoops in to save the day. I think we need a hug Faye, I have a feeling even worse is still to come :(
    Kelly recently posted…The Giver by Lois LowryMy Profile

Beautiful recap Faye! I loved Finn (one of the few) so was heartbroken at his mental breakdown in season 2 and his demise. It was necessary for his punishment but I wish it could have been in another way and while it was devastating, I’m glad Clarke was the one to do it.
    Danielle recently posted…Amour Amour by Krista and Becca RitchieMy Profile

Thank you so much, Danielle! I agree, his punishment was necessary, but it was still so heart-breaking :( Now Clarke has to live with that fact.

パネライ スーパーコピー 腕時計の直径44 mmということです、そして、私の意見で、素晴らしい―見える白ゴム・ストラップの上に来そうです。回転ベゼルであり、多くの人々のためのダイビング腕時計のないダイブウォッチしません、しかし、このものはまだ水抵抗の300 mとそれはあなたがそれをダイビング–リンデそのダイブコンピュータを提供したいときのためにそのそでの上で何か他のものを持ち、「リーフ」をリアルタイムでダイバーの追跡することができます。センサを用いて、3軸コンパス、mpuプラットフォーム、警報システム、それは深刻なダイバーのためのユーティリティの多くを提供することは、ブランドのダイビング腕時計の場合には、迅速かつ容易に急にできるように設計された。あなたがそれのために余分の注意を払います。 http://www.gowatchs.com/brand-232.html

でも、たとえオンラインショッピング比較流行の欧米諸国は、「ネットオークション時計」の態度も少なくない。カルティエ コピーイギリス1家のジュエリーチェーン店金史密斯、自身のウェブサイトで販売正宗トップ腕時計、この挙動を獲得した当時、オメガ豪雅は、ティソやロンジンなど数十社の時計会社の公式応援を含む、しかしロレックス、ブライトリングを含むいくつかの腕時計大グループ当時はネット販売態度は慎重に、理由はこの類技術の制品を販売していない場合スタッフの専門知識を紹介し、不適合なネット販売。 http://www.newkakaku.com/lz1.htm

より高い終わり時計に適した、このように、ストラップサントーニの贅沢な靴屋によって作られています。これはいくつかの高品質の結果(臭い)が使用されている革。 シャネルスーパーコピー ステンレス鋼のモデルは、黒い革のバンドを特徴とします、赤い金の反復は、茶色の革のひもの上に来ます。あなたの黒い革のひもを得るならば、それはdeployantは、茶色のストラップが標準的な香りバックルを特徴としながら(レッドゴールドでではあるが)。 http://www.ooobrand.com/distribution/index.html

Maybe it’s just wishful thinking, or maybe it’s a hint
    that a new game is at least being considered.
    The bureau agents had hit the bank robbers and they did not just die.
    Multi Team takes the Doubles Arena template and ups the ante – up to 6 duos battling it out
    in Objective and Slayer game types, including Team Headhunter and Oddball.
    swat recently posted…swatMy Profile

1. […] The 100 Episode 1 – Mixed But Mainly Positive Emotions The 100 Episode 2 – All Aboard to Feeladelphia The 100 Episode 3 – The Epitome of Craziness The 100 Episode 4 – I… Like Murphy? The 100 Episode 5 – Holy Shit Character Complexity?! The 100 Episode 6 – SHIT. GOT. SERIOUS. The 100 Episode 7 – So Much Intensity. IT BURNS! The 100 Episode 8 – Tears. Tears Everywhere. […]