Random Things in Motion #17: I’ve Had Enough… Give Me Ordinary Love Interests!!!

Ordinary Guys
(Source)

Let’s be serious here, ladies and gents. When a heroine meets the love interest for the first time, what are the things they usually notice or describe? No, it is not their clothes. No, it is not the fact that the person is doing something he loves at the time she saw him. Most of the time, we get bombarded with descriptions of how beautiful he is… how his blue/green/grey/hazel eyes pierce through her soul and how his gaze makes her feel as if they’ve known each other for a long time. She notices his chiselled jaw, his sculpted face, his silk-like hair being blown by the wind, as if he were the Archangel in delicious disguise.

And then, the heart beats. The passion of romance begins. They feel the spark of chemistry between them. Why?

Because he is “beautiful”.

And I am honestly quite sick of it.

(Source)
(Source)

Don’t get me wrong here. I have nothing against beautiful guys used in fiction, but I do have a problem with it being such a recurrent theme. I keep asking myself why is the appearance so important to the point that we have to be reminded all the bloody time that the guy is drop-dead gorgeous from head to toe? I swear I read a book sometime ago whose heroine kept telling the reader of her “beautiful” beau at least once every chapter. I fucking get it: his green eyes are awesome. His sculpted face makes you blush all over. You just want to put your finger all over that chiselled jaw of his.

But is that all there is to love about him? In fact, if he wasn’t such a hot stud in the first place, would you have bothered to know more about him? Would you even partake on this grand war among the vampires?! YES, I AM LOOKING AT YOU, BELLA. *shakes fist*

Just once, I want to read about how a heroine meets an ordinary, average guy, and thinks nothing romantic of him at first. She finds friendship and company with him, gets to know him, does amazing things together with him, feels something new about him because of their shared experiences, and then voila, a believable, meaningful romance that is not found by mere appearances but actual, real connection.

Which is what usually happens in real life. Am I right or am I right?

(Source)
(Source)

From what I noticed, the latter is found a lot in contemporary novels, a genre I am more and more becoming a fan of when it comes to this aspect, because once you enter the fantasy/paranormal/dystopian/science fiction field, you’re met with all these insanely beautiful guys that remind us just how impossible it is to find someone like them out of the blue and ignite a passionate romance with (unless you’re in Hollywood, I suppose…). This makes me sad because I love these genres so much, and the amount of relatable romances is seriously so low. Imagine all the possibilities we can come up with if the hero/heroine doesn’t immediately run into a sculpted face that would be the catalyst to their grand adventure:

1.) Heroine meets a sickly, pale vampire who has definitely seen better days. He needs her help in finding the cure to some vampire disease, which can only be found in the human world. They get to know each other. She’s scared of him but she finds out he isn’t that bad after all. BOOM, ROMANCE.

2.) Hero meets a very short girl with a temper as hot as a volcano. He finds out that she’s the adopted daughter of the government’s oppressive President. He finds out she ran away when she found out scandalous stuff about him. They help each other build a rebellion while making sure he doesn’t get to her bad side. He eventually softens the dragon within. BOOM, ROMANCE.

3.) Heroine who loves games meets a chubby and nerdy gamer when they line up for the latest game. They’re the last two people in line and only one stock of the game left. They decide to share the game which leads to them sharing other games, playing online together, and joining a contest for the next Tekken Tournament. BOOM, ROMANCE.

Now tell me, aren’t these more interesting?

I really wish we had less of these gorgeous guys around. I mean, they’re not that bad – I’m sure we’ve fantastized putting our hands all over Adam Levine once or twice, but I simply just never found these stories relatable, especially if their appearance keep getting emphasized over and over. I want more love stories that are based on real connection, on shared memories and experiences; love stories that are between two ordinary people who find something extraordinary in each other.

What about you? What do you think? Are you sick of drop-dead gorgeous love interests, too? Do you agree with my sentiments? leave your comments and feedback below!

Comments

Agree! If every love interest looked like a Roman statue, I’d be more scared than turned on… >.>

FIRST TO COMMENT. I WIN.

Definitely want to read more of Freyr’s Diary ahahahha. 170 PAGES. I WANT THEM ALL. LOL. But yeah the actual discussion. I think this is a major problem in fantasy, and like you said, THAT SUCKS BECAUSE I LOVE FANTASY. This is why I love Brandon Sanderson, BECAUSE IT’S NOT JUST INSTALOVE WITH BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE.

Also, how are the MC’s getting all these guys? Like why am I not getting all the guys? Huh? HUH? NO RELATE I DO NOT RELATE.
    Valerie recently posted…ARC Review: The Girl At MidnightMy Profile

It is why I find Ore Monogatari (My Love Story!) a breath of fresh air. Takeo is nowhere the typical bishounen love interest (far from it). But he has a good heart and the girl loves him for who he is. It’s nice to see how the romance develops because regardless of how different they are, they manage to make their relationship works. (But not gonna lie, sometimes I want good looking fella to read.)

Oooh, I’ll have to give Ore Monogatari a tru myself! I don’t think I’ve read that one yet. I’m so behind on shoujo mangas right now! But seriously, as long as it’s not the usual Adonis, I’d take it!

Okay it is so funny that you should mention this because I’m reading Nowhere But Here right now and while I’m loving it, I have been bothered by the fact that both hero and heroine have been described as gorgeous or beautiful so much that I’m starting to feel inferior (not really but you get the point).
    I mean how can all these people be so beautiful and good. Makes me a bit jealous. :P
    kindlemom1 recently posted…WoW Pick of the Week!My Profile

RIGHT?! It does make you feel quite insecure because we’re not as beautiful as them, does that make us inferior? Haha.

Right? I mean, okay, he’s beautiful, but let’s stop at the first description, because being reminded over and over is getting old. It’s like they’re implying that’s all there is to love or notice about him and NOTHING ELSE. Which is more of an insult, I would think.

I’m all for drop-dead gorgeous guys but I agree with your sentiments. The first guy to be introduced as drop-dead gorgeous in a book usually ends up as the love interest. Not to mention the undeniable attraction or chemistry. Like, why can’t they be just normal people? If you’re looking for a book where the “heroine meets an ordinary, average guy, and thinks nothing romantic of him at first”, I highly recommend WHAT HAPPENS NEXT by Colleen Clayton. I read it just a few weeks ago and it’s awesome. You’d genuinely fall in love with Corey.
    Haraiah recently posted…COVER LOVIN’: Crossed by Eliza CreweMy Profile

Yes :/ It’s kind of heartbreaking to see how romances have become quite predictable as of late. There needs to be more diversity and ordinariness around here. Rattle our bones! Shake our wits! Excite us!

I’ll definitely try out the book you recced, my dear!

Actually, at least two of my favorite heroes are purposelly very ugly. The first it Terrible from Stacia Kane’s Downside Ghosts series (highly recommended!), and the second is March from Ann Aguirre’s Sirantha Jax series. There are more, but I always think of those two first. And it’s really something I appreciate, when a writer can make someone unattractive seem appealing. And not in the ugly ducking turns to swan way either.
    Maja (The Nocturnal Library) recently posted…Review: Out of ControlMy Profile

Oooh, I’m glad to know that they actually exist out there! I would love to read those ones especially since you loved them a lot. Most of my favorite books in the epic fantasy department don’t really spend a lot of time talking about appearances either, which makes the romance even more fulfilling, if there is one.

Feye’s diary needs to make more appearances on the blog! I absolutely loved the snippets ;)
    I’m quite sick of the “beautiful boy” and blah blah blah love interests. It’s all been done before. Sometimes we are in relationships with people who we don’t describe having ‘aqua blue eyes that reflect the ocean after a storm’, sometimes there eyes are just ordinary blue. LOL. Am I making sense? Sometimes I just want something ordinary and believable since my life is ordinary and believable…haha..

YES! Freyr’s diary will definitely be exposed ;) Little by little, but it will be for the world to see! Mwahahaha!

Exactly! I get it, the guy’s eyes are blue, but seriously, seeing the Pacific Ocean in it? Seeing the heavens above the blue sky? COME ON!

I also really like romances that start out as friendships. As exciting and dramatic instalove and massively beautiful love interests may seem…they just aren’t realistic, and sometimes they’re hard to buy into. When I met my boyfriend, it certainly wasn’t an earth-shattering moment. He was some random guy in a college club I was in, and if I thought anything about him at all, it was that he was slightly weird!

This is the reason L. M. Montgomery is one of my favorite authors and one of my favorite writers of romance, Her characters always start out having some type of history before they begin a romance.
    Briana @ Pages Unbound recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday (102): Books I Will Probably Never ReadMy Profile

Me, too! Romance that starts from friendships really entice and appeal to me a lot, because you will see how much they will have grown and connected through their shared experiences. Haha. Exactly! When I met my boyfriend, there wasn’t much of that earth-shattering boyfriend, either. It just felt normal and natural.

There is a book that totally fills your #one about the vampire! It is titled The Medium, and was written by MR Graham. It is an Adult Paranormal/Thriller. I loved it. Yes, I do get sick, sick, sick of green eyes, chiseled jaws, and silken hair. How about she loves he is the best cello player she has ever heard, or he volunteers at the library reading to kids while wearing a Peter Pan costume (her favorite fairytale). Maybe he helps her rescue a stray dog caught in a fence and they both miss meeting their friends for a mega popular midnight movie, so they make a date to see the movie together the next night. She loves his weird crinkled ear lobes, freckles, slight lisp, the smell of his psoriasis medicated topical ointment; ANYTHING!
    La La in the Library recently posted…TELL ME TUESDAY #41My Profile

Oooh, I didn’t know there was already a book with that premise! That pleases me a lot! And yes, I really don’t want to read anymore with those descriptions… Once a guy is introduced having these features, BOOM, we know the hero/heroine will end up with them. Talk about predictable! And boring!

I would really prefer it if she fell for him because of something else, like his love for animals, or his talent in singing or playing a musical instrument, and how the melody he brings out just speaks to her soul… isn’t that far more meaningful?

Or how she recognizes that he is scarred all over, but she loves how these scars were hard-earned through hard work and sweat, all just for her… or how his blind eye seems to twinkle when he’s talking to her… even that is far more romantic!

Great post! I don’t mind the ebautifull lvoe interest, but like you said sometimes it feels like every love interest is super beautifull and all the girls stare at him and it’s just a bit too much. I don’t mind if they find the other beautifull, but they don’t need to remidn the reader of that fact every few pages or keep emphasizing it. And i certainly prefer slow building romances, although I’ve also read faster paced romances that work or where the main characters already have a past.
    I think this sentence sums it up perfectly “love stories that are between two ordinary people who find something extraordinary in each other.” It’s realistic and yes love makes you blind, but it would be nice if they don’t start crushing on each other as the other is so beautifull.
    Lola recently posted…Cover Reveal: Mail-Order Groom by Cindy Flores MartinezMy Profile

Yes :/ I really want more diversity here. And enough of the emphasis on the appearance, to boot. We already get intimidated by the media as it is!

I swear, I will hug you, Faye. I will hug you. Not in a creepy or pervert way, but you know what I mean. Simply because you have literally read my mind.

And I will live for the day when the dudes of love aren’t drop-dead gorgeous. It’s a wonder why every boy stresses out and goes, “I WANT A SIX PACK AND GET ALLLLLLL THE GIRLS.”

Let’s just say it doesn’t actually promote self-confidence. We’re all so worried about our weight, it’s ridiculous.

(I’ve totally made it a point to smack all of my guy friends out of my life after graduation. Sadly, one is a little intent on staying. -_-)

P.S. I am that short girl with a volcanic temper. At least, according to my mom. ;)
    Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts recently posted…ARC Review: Avalon Rising by Kathryn Rose (Sophia Plans to Kidnap A Review)My Profile

I absolutely give you permission to hug me, dear. HUG MEEEEH. HUUUG MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH. Haha!

And honestly, when I go out to the mall or even to the beach, 8 times out of 10 I will see an ordinary guy and not a freaking Adonis in the flesh.

We need more short girls with volanic tempers in fiction! I reckon they’ll make amusing stories.

HAHAHA I READ SOMETHING ONCE THAT DID THIS SAME THING. I’m so sick of that love interest’s eyes that I just threw my book at a wall. Poor book, but the writing was just infuriating!

YES TO ALL OF THIS!! Honestly I have nothing against gorgeous guys but it is a little boring seeing them in book after book and it’s all the same: chiseled jaws, artfully tousled hair with piercing eyes. LIKE YES I get it but it doesn’t always have to be that way. I mean, heck yeah I enjoy gorgeous guys as much as the next person (also YES Adam Levine) and while I’m walking down the street, I probably will notice a tall guy that looks like he’s walked straight off a catwalk but you definitely don’t have those same gorgeous guys falling in love with you all the time. Like it just doesn’t happen. More often, it IS the guy who’s your friend and who doesn’t look much different than just the average guy but who ends up being the most attractive person on Earth because of his personality.
    Annie recently posted…2015 Reading Trends Pt. 1My Profile

RIGHT?! Now it feels like every beautiful guy out there looks the same because their descriptions are all copy and paste of each other, like an overused template. And so true! Most of the tiem ,you end up with the guy across the street, or that classmate from 10th grade who you see at work, or your co-worker even :/

Omyghod when you said “Hero meets a very short girl with a temper as hot as a volcano” I immediately thought of the anime Toradora and then I remembered that there was another anime (“Lovely Complex”) with romance between a really tall girl and a really short guy. They were such dorks and loved the same singer so they fell in love while going to his concerts. It would be so awesome to read about something like that in a YA book!
    Ju @ Fictional Skylines recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books I Will Probably Never ReadMy Profile

I CAN’T AGREE ENOUGH WITH THIS POST.

I mean, yeah, everyone likes beauty and beautiful boys, but beautiful eyes and a chiseled jaw or a crooked smile (THE CROOKED SMILE SYNDROME — I swear I have never once seen a guy who smiles lopsidedly. Like how the fuck does that even happen??) — I have had enough of that. Oh, and wonder of wonders, this boy who is the walking definition of perfection, doesn’t have anyone else fawning over him! He’s a loner! Either that, or he’s one of the popular guys and for some miraculous reason has only eyes for our plain, ordinary protagonist.

I so need the chubby gamer romance story in my life. I NEEEEEED IT.

I also need a love interest who wears glasses. Like, I’m pretty sure the majority of the people on this planet have vision that is above 20/20. SO SHOW THAT IN FICTION AND NO CONTACTS PLEASE.
    Megan (ง︡’-‘︠)ง recently posted…This Month: March & April 2015My Profile

Ugh, I had to google crooked smile to know what the fuck that means (or what it looks like) and it was pretty laughable! Felt like the “ducked pout” version of the male :P And I wonder about that, too! Such a beautiful guy, and the only attention he gets from girls is the MC? That’s dubious, indeed.

I have a chubby gamer bf! I WIIIIIIIIIIIIN! Haha

THIS! My goodness Faye, the typical YA love interest is just getting worse nowadays. As a teen, it wasn’t his eyes I was interested in. Honestly, how many different bloody ways can you say someone has nice eyes before a reader would rather fork one out and give him an eye patch, just so he’s defective. Let’s be real authors, hot teen guys usually wouldn’t look at anyone less than model material. And even then, they don’t want to hold hands and write you love songs. It comes back to unrealistic YA and even how relationships are also portrayed. As readers, I know we keep banging on about it, but the majority of authors don’t seem to be listening. We don’t need all the romantic leads to be short, funny and quirky, but a more realistic representation of the teen male. And they all stink anyway. YES! More stinky romantic interests!

Brilliant topic Faye, and really on point <3
    Kelly recently posted…Smoking Hot… A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. MaasMy Profile

Right?! I’m finding the standard of our YA heroines being too unrealistic :P I never even gave a shit about my ex-boyfriend’s eyes when I was dating during my High School days! HAHAHA, gosh, I might even be more interested in a guy with an eye patch, because, hey, at least that tells a story, don’t you think? This is why I sometimes prefer quiet YA contemporaries when it comes to the romance department because they feel more grounded to reality. And LOL to stinky romantic interests!

I totally get where you’re coming from Faye, the ways things are overdone these days with numerous descriptions of how gorgeous the character can get over bearing at times, and it is refreshing when an author decides to go down this route a different way. I definitely think we need more books that follow this route you mentioned. Great post Faye!
    Jasprit recently posted…Blog Tour: Swept Away by Michelle DaltonMy Profile

Yes, it is definitely so overwhelming. Isn’t the first description enough? What’s the use of repeating it over and over? :/

Thank you so much, Jeann! HAHAHA! That description is so unrealistic, it’s ridiculous. Not unless every small town out there has a model hiding in their midst.

I don’t mind having no romance in the first book of the series. The romance can come later when there’s already a connection established.

Were you just in my mind *narrows my eyes on you* I FEEL THE SAME WAY. And I’m sorry but I kinda blame Bella as well. There’s a lot of Instalove happening in YA (especially NA) because of these looks that the guy have. I’m sick of it. Those usually ends in DNF in my book. Unless the writing is epic or/and I’m a huge fan of the author.
    Paula M. @ Her Book Thoughts! recently posted…Author Takeover #002: O.E. Boroni, author of: ‘The Beginning of Never’ + Giveaway!!My Profile

Yeah, we really need to get away from the insta-love thing that keeps on happening! It’s just so old now :/

I was actually wondering the same thing except I was particularly concerned with New Adult. Why is the boy almost always so “sinfully sexy” or his smile is “panty-dropping hot”? And then the girl’s like “Oh, look I’m so fat” but actually she’s hot as heck. It hit me then: where are all the ordinary looking people? Can’t they fall in love and have a happily-ever-after? I also have to admit it makes me a bit insecure sometimes when reading these tedious descriptions. We need more flawed beauty and less perfection in literature.
    Miguel @ The Quirky Reader recently posted…Crimson Bound by Rosamund HodgeMy Profile

Right? When someone smiles at me, I don’t actually think of it that way! That or I’m just not cut out to be a YA heroine. Haha!

I do not mind if love interest is gorgeous, but I do mind if I am reminded of it in every chapter or on every other page and if physical appearance is the main sorce of the romantic connection. That gets boring very soon. But I completely agree that “believable, meaningful romance that is not found by mere appearances but actual, real connection” makes deeper impression on me and I keep thinking about such bookish couple for much longer time.
    Lucia @Reading Is My Breathing recently posted…EARLY REVIEW: 5 to 1 by Holly BodgerMy Profile

Yes, it bugs me, too, if it’s so in-your-face all the bloody time. It’s like the book tells us it’s the only thing about the guy worth loving D:

I’m with you on this one, a lot of people in reality are average looking so these insanely good looking men in books are ridiculous unless they’re an angel like Raffe than sure. Grave mercy had great ordinary characters! I think that’s the only book I can think of with average characters which is just sad :( I do love this post though, very thoughtful.
    Benish recently posted…ARC Review: End of Days by Susan Ee ♥My Profile

Yup, definitely ridiculous since in real life this is hardly the case every time. Not unless there’s a hot guy all of us can fall in love with out of the blue. I would love to read Grave Mercy!

I agree with this 250%! I mean the paranormal romance genre cannot get any as of late. Its a full-blown problem. I just want a normal guy to fall in love with. No vampire. No sculptured faces. No soul-piercing eyes. I need connections and slow-burning chemistry. Just once! Please? :)
    Rachel @ Rachel’s Reading Corner recently posted…Sunday Shout-OutMy Profile

Woohoo! The Paranormal department is almost always guilty of this one, 9 times out of 10. Heroine sees a paranormal human and they go kaching-ching! Sculpted abs! Beautiful eyes! Panty-dropping eyes! Me: *GAAAG*

YES to everything you said up there! I want normal guys.Typical teenage guys and not Abercrombie models.Because the teenage guys I know in real life are normally dealing with puberty,acne,weight issues and wardrobe malfunctions.So it’s pretty unrealistic when we always have perfect guys in YA fiction!
    Mishma @ Chasing Faerytales recently posted…A Little Bit of Everything #2 || Do you let your beliefs influence your relationships?My Profile

Yes, seriously! I’ve had 2 boyfriends and none of them were Abercrombie-looking guys. They also struggle with many things, and not simply just their unrealistic beauty.

Hell to the yes. I’d love some more variety in love interests, please. The best example who could fit an ordinary character would be Levi. He’s not that handsome, but in the end, he’s the one who gets Cath so well, and I appreciate the relationship to bits.
    Shannelle recently posted…Movie Review: InsurgentMy Profile

I’m really hopeful that in the future there would be more realistic love interests as book bloggers are very vocal about the need for diversity.

Haha, this post is pretty great! I hadn’t thought about it quite like this, but you make a good point. And all of those scenarios sound significantly more interesting than Twilight.
    I always assumed, though, that they describe looks first because it’s the first thing they see about the person: when you meet them, you don’t know anything else about them. However, it would be nice if they didn’t fall in love directly after meeting, or maybe even hated each other even though they were initially physically attracted.

Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    Alexa recently posted…Beautiful People Sibling Edition: Elliot and MileyaMy Profile

Thank you, dear! Twilight was good at its time, but now the times have moved on and we need more books that have broadened themselves. If I were to say, I think we’re ready to move on from the pretty boys phase :P

I don’t mind them describing their appearances, but oftentimes, they look at the appearance and get an “Effect” that is akin to falling in love. I really, really have an issue with that!

I LOVE this! YES, so much yes. I seriously do not understand! And the thing that always gets me is, there is no explanation of this “love” on either end- we don’t know why the gorgeous beautifully sculpted man-statue cares about this girl either. It’s so weird, and definitely NOT normal. I much prefer a love that blossoms out of a friendship, or shared interests, or whatever- NOT just the color of some guy’s eyes. Fabulous post!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight recently posted…Salt & Stone Giveaway (and Fun with Gifs!)My Profile

Exactly! They love each other because of… what? I don’t understand? Where’s the connection? What is the shared experience? This is why I find some of these instalove romances so dubious… I don’t feel like their relationship has sound and emotional connection and investment.

I’m with ya. I’m at the point where I don’t even pay attention to the descriptions of how gorgeous they are. Have you read When Joss Met Matt? I loved that one, because they were actually friends for years and didn’t act that way about each other.
    Christy recently posted…Fuel the Fire by Krista & Becca RitchieMy Profile

Yeah, I keep skipping those, too :/ I just don’t care anymore about what they look like as it feels like every beautiful guy out there is a template of each other. I haven’t, but I will!

I like that trope, too, although I prefer the enemies-turned-friends-turned-lovers more as we will see the connection be established over time.

Gods, thank you. I am so burnt out on the typical YA romance. I seriously grind my teeth when I read about speshul eye color and speshul hair color and speshul food-colored skin and speshully grown muscles. There is nothing wrong with falling for a guy with dishwater brown hair and generic brown eyes.
    Lyn Kaye recently posted…Book Review: Exquisite CorpseMy Profile

Right?! They’re really tiring now. I tend to rate books with those lower, because it’s just not something new. I like guys with generic traits, as they’re probably someone I’d meet out of the blue in real life ;P

I like the idea of ordinary love interests too!! Setting up a character’s love interest as being this perfect creature whose beauty and strength and intelligence is just staggering is 1) unrealistic, AND 2) creates a stupid power discrepancy where the main character feels totally inferior to this intimidatingly perfect love interest! (more eyes turn towards Bella) I don’t want to read about that!
    Christina @ Christina Writes recently posted…The Moments I Look Forward To Whenever I Reread Harry PotterMy Profile

I would love to see some more ordinary heroes and even heroines! In real life, you don’t always see another person, instantly fall in love, and then end up married (after saving the world). Sometimes, the two of you are just people who know each other or who hang out sometimes. What’s wrong with that? Why can’t ordinary-looking people find love (and maybe save the world)?

I like a lot of classics for that reason, like L. M. Montgomery’s works and Louisa May Alcott’s. Their protagonists usually form friendships with the people they will later end up marrying. And sometimes they end up marrying the most unlikely individuals!

Yes! More ordinary love interests and characters, please! In real life, 9 times out of 10, you’re going to marry the boy next door, or the guy across the street, or your weird coworker whose quirks are endearing in yuor eyes.

Faye. FAYE. This is really quite wonderfully accurate, and that last sentence, especially, with “two ordinary people who find something extraordinary in each other” is simply glorious. I really liked reading your thoughts on this, and can sympathise and agree with your sentiments, and I have to say- those are some fantastic plot samplers. I would read basically all of those, were they novels, and it’s because they sound interesting and sweet and like they have true friendship bound romance that isn’t insta, that isn’t founded on looks, that is really pretty fantastic.
    Fantastic work with this. You did well. Very well.
    Xx
    Romi recently posted…Books for when you’re… (20)My Profile

Thank you so much, Romi! It pleases me to know that so many people feel the same way about this one! Maybe I should write these novels if they’re not written yet ;)

Have you read the His Fair Assassin trilogy? The second book has a love interest that is actually ugly. Like UGLY. No one likes how he looks. And their romance is PHENOMENAL. Amazing. I love them SO MUCH.
    Bekka recently posted…Stacking the Shelves #5My Profile

YEEEEEES!! Thank you for writing this down, Faye. I’ve thought this a lot already! I mean I have no problems with beautiful people. I’m pretty sure I’d enjoy looking at them. But I’m so tired of romances that emphasize too much on appearances. And the worst ones are the books that have to repeat over and over again how beautiful they are. Like “I’ve heard it already. Shut up.” I have my biases with this really. There are books that I love or find acceptable. But there are also some that are just plain awful. I think if they focus on other parts of the person like their personalities or something, I would like it so much better. And I’d rather have a relationship that is based more on personality than looks.
    Francine Soleil recently posted…Guess Who I Met~My Profile

YESS, glad you agree with me, Francine! Having too much of an emphasis on appearances is definitely a turn off for me now. I tend to skip them as my eyes keep glazing over every time! It’s like, “okay, is that all there is to about him to like? What baout his talents? his quirks?”

Amen sister. I really don’t mind at all if the guy is hot, but I HATE it that it always seems like that’s the ONLY reason the MC likes him! And I hate the trend of bashing the fact he’s hot in my face every other sentence or so. I get it; his eyes are like an ocean, his abs are to die for, his chiseled face could cut stone, yada yada yada… can we move on to the deeper reasons why you like him? You have the same taste in music? You can talk to each other for hours about nothing at all? Do you even know what his favorite color is??? DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HIM ASIDE FOR HIS BEING HOT?!?!??!
    I mean, seriously! He’s hot, that’s great, now give me something REAL between you!
    If I had that, I wouldn’t mind the hot-guy thing. Though, in general, there needs to be more “regular/real/normal” guys in books. Like in RL.
    Nitzan Schwarz recently posted…Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David LevithanMy Profile