I Used to Be a Fabulous Picture Book Reader (My Reading History)

Picture Book

So today, I want to do something a bit different–I’m going to share my reading history. Exciting, yeah? Don’t get your hopes up! If you know me, you’ll know that I didn’t grow up a reader–in fact, before fifth grade, I hated even the thought of reading.

But even before that stage, I was a semi-reader. Let’s talk about that.

As a kid (you know, pre-elementary school), I owned a lot of books. I didn’t really read them back then–I looked at the pictures and made up my own stories. Sometimes my “governess” (is that the right term?) would read them to me, but I totally liked my versions better.

And my favorite books back then?

47674
The Very Hungry Caterpillar & Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me by Eric Carle

Thoughts as a kid: Look, a caterpillar! IT’S HUNGRY AND SO AM I. And I want a moon too, please. And I also want it to randomly shrink when I hold it.

After a while, I started really reading the children’s books I got, mostly the ones written in short sentences instead of paragraphs. A few of my favorites included:

23772 868822
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss & Bennett Cerf’s Book of Riddles by Bennett Cerf

Thoughts back then: Green eggs… Cars on trees… Interesting. And oh gosh, everything in this riddle book is hilarious!

Then came my Disney-Is-Life stage. Yes, until now, I believe that Disney is life. But you get my point. I got obsessed with all things Disney princesses, and Winx Club. Yes, those little magazines are like crack. I SHIP ALL THE SHIPS.

84970 13260285
Disney’s Princess Storybook Collection by Sarah E. Heller | Bloom’s Discovery by Iginio Straffi

Thoughts back then: PINKPINKPINKPINK!

After that, I stopped reading for a couple of years. Then I got into YA! But that’s a story for another time, yeah? ;)

Gosh, I feel like I was such a shallow kid. A lot of you were probably already reading Harry Potter by that time!

OVER TO YOU! WHAT BOOKS DID YOU READ AS A CHILD?

Aimee
Aimee is a sixteen year old bookworm from the Phillipines! She reads any book that catches her attention, but she mostly reads YA. She's into graphic design, writing and sleeping. You can find her at Deadly Darlings, The Book Geek, Goodreads and on Twitter.
Aimee

Latest posts by Aimee (see all)

Comments

All of those books you listed above brings back memories. I was not a reader back then, in fact I used to hate reading in middle through high school, but I remember in my pre-elementary school days I read picture books like Dr. Seuss, all the Disney ones, The Giving Tree, Goodnight Moon, and The Velveteen Rabbit. Then I read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and Searching For David’s Heart by Cherie Bennett before I went into middle school.
    Genissa @ Story Diary recently posted…White Hot KissMy Profile

I can’t even remember what I read! My mom tells me I used to read all kinds of stories, but I don’t recall doing that. Tbh, I didn’t even know I loved to read until 2010, haha. Great post, Aimee!

P.S.: I really love the fact that I could guess who the author of this post was with just reading the title of it. xD
    Vane J. recently posted…The Secret Life of a Book BloggerMy Profile

I honestly don’t remember a time in my life when I wasn’t obsessed with books and reading! Even in Kindy – or pre-primary school (I don’t know what non-Aussies call it!) – I devoured any book you put in my hands. Well, picture books back then I guess. But I think Nancy Drew and the Rainbow Magic Fairy books were what got me really, really into reading. And then in year one or two (about the age of eight) that was firmly cemented when I discovered Harry Potter…
    Rachel Lightwood recently posted…{Mirror Mirror} SO. MANY. BOOKS!!My Profile

4. Riley says

I loved to read since I was really little. I got into YA at a really young age 3rd or 4th. Before that I was really into Goosebumps. It was so scary to me!

I think that somehow I moved from the illustrated versions of fairy tales to books without illustrations quite fast as a kid because books with illustrations and short sentences were over waaay too fast for my taste! I don’t think I read enough picture pics as a kid, unless we count comics, which I’m sure we don’t! ;)
    Pili @ In Love With Handmade recently posted…ARC August: Final week recap!!My Profile

That’s a funny post. I wasn’t born into a reader, I grew into one when I was about 14. Basically my sister bought me Twillight, and I quickly became obssessed with this series. In a matter of weeks, I made her buy all four books. From there, I slowly became interested in reading. And now, I’m a full blown bookworm, lol. However, even before Twilight, there were signs that I could become a bookworm. I remember one evening when I was about 9, I read Coraline by Neil Gaiman in one setting. Also another time I read The Giver, again in one setting an afternoon where I had nothing to do. Basically, I just needed a little nudge, lol.

Oh Winx, that gives me such sweet memories of my childhood. I was personally more obssessed with W.I.T.C.H, not the cartoon but the comic.
    Sarah H recently posted…Promise of Shadows par Justina Ireland (VF)My Profile

Actually, I was a lot like you…for the first 10 years of my life, I everything was pink and princesses when it came to reading.
    Though it wasn’t just picture books…I also read some very easy-to-read novels. The Jewel Kingdom was my favourite: four princesses, each of them having a ‘gemstone’ and section of the kingdom to take care of? It was everything I wanted.
    Oh, and they all had magical creatures as pets (The Ruby Princess had a dragon, the Sapphire princess had a butterfly, the Emerald Princess had a unicorn, and the Diamond princess had a white fox).
    And I still remember ALL their names…well, most of them.

But, yeah, I didn’t get into the Harry Potter series until I was 13. And that’s what took me out of princesses and fairies and got me into ‘older kids’ books.
    Cassie recently posted…That time I died and came back as a vengeful skeletonMy Profile

I love this! When I was SUPER little I am not sure what I read (on account of being super little and not remembering stuff), but when I was slightly older I read a lot of Serendipity books (they’re so cute, if you feel like looking them up) and Berenstain Bears, which my daughter is now obsessed with. Then I moved into American Girls books because I do love a historical fiction ;) and I was absolutely addicted to The Baby-Sitters Club! Addicted doesn’t even begin to describe it. It’s almost like me and The Hunger Games now :D Then when I was a teenager, and YA was still not really much of a “thing”, I got into Lurlene McDaniel books which made me cry and then feel depressed but were addicting! Love this post so much, thanks for sharing it!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight recently posted…This Week At Midnight (76)My Profile

Oh my goodness I just loved Dr. Seuss as a child. He was totally my jam and it was especially the book Green Eggs and Ham. I remember that one the most. I was read The Hungry Caterpillar a lot as a child as well. Ooh, but I didn’t really have a Disney phase? Mine was replaced with the whole Fairy Books by Daisy Meadows collection. That last years until I switched to chapter books.
    Olivia Roach recently posted…Life Update: Paris Trip and Summer is Over…My Profile

My son loved The Hungry Hungry Caterpillar, too! The author came to his school when he was in first grade and he talked about it for ages and ages. My favorite books as a youngster were the Winnie the Pooh books and Wind in the Willows. Dr, Seuss had to be my all time fave, though. My father ordered me the Seuss Book of the Month Club when I was four years old and I think I got them for two years. Sad to say I only have two of those twenty some books because my little sister ruined the rest of them. Ha!
    La La in the Library recently posted…TELL ME TUESDAY #59My Profile