7 Reasons Why I Don’t Read YA

7 Reasons Why I Don't Read YA

1. Only kids read YA.

I am too old for that shit. Once you hit the 18 mark, it’s BYE-BYE to YA.

2. Too many Threeseomes.

Like EW. It’s not like teenagers have sex. They are too pure and innocent to have any thoughts regarding the act of lurve. Whoever came up with this bullshit?

3. Too much romance.

What is up with all the romance in general? Why aren’t there YA books out there without romance? Kids should study anyway, they don’t need a love life. They shouldn’t have a love life.

4. YA is not morally complicated enough for me.

It’s all about the sparkly vampires, and girls worrying about making friends. Nobody dies in YA. Nobody picks up a bow and arrow to kill their own food.

5. The teens don’t respect the adults.

Everybody knows that adults are trustworthy and always 100% right. Can you imagine how much better YA would be if the kids would just leave the government alone. That way, nobody would die.

6. I am so done with all the female protagonists.

Why aren’t there more MEN in YA. We need real men, people. Men are underrepresented.

7. Also YA novels are too expensive.

Rashika

Rashika is a mysterious creature who likes to hide in the shadows. It's impossible to get to know her but if you must know, she is a huge bookworm. She also happens to have a huge sweet tooth so you can always lure her over the dark side by offering her something sweet (or bribing her with books).

Comments

• Rashika says

BAHAHAHAHA. At this point, there have been so many posts that sham YA that I decided to have a little fun and mock those articles ;)

Honestly, I think that all of these have a smidgen of truth. The question is whether or not YA has more of these things than what is considered “adult” books and I say no they don’t. I feel that most people who turn their nose down on YA don’t want to understand. They just see “YA” and that must mean horrible predictable writing and immature characters. But adult books doesn’t automatically mean a scholarly piece of genius, there are some pretty crappy adult books out there!

• Rashika says

AGREED. I can think of adult books right now that are popular but also utter crap. Screw all those people who look down on YA.

• Rashika says

You do you, Ali. Don’t let those buttholes get in the way because they don’t know what they are missing out on ;)

• Rashika says

Love triangles are a general no-no in my book too. I WILL RUN AWAY from those triangle-y books but I also tend to be forgiving of certain situations resembling a triangle (so long as they don’t turn into one!)

This is hilarious!! I hate it when people dismiss YA because it’s “less superior”… It reeeeaaalllyyy annoys me and I know quite a few people who do it.

BAH. I NEARLY DIED. THANKS FOR THE HEART ATTACK, RASHIKA. I’m like omg she’s turned to the dark side. Bahah, you are wonderful. xD Although, yessss number #7 is very true, actually. But I mean, NOT ALWAYS. Because like you could buy 3 coffees or a book. Or 1 movie ticket = a book. And books you get to keep forever….so it’s not too bad, right?!
    BUT OMG. ADULTS ARE ALWAYS RIGHT. MEN ARE UNDERREPRESENTED. And don’t forget YA books never deal with real life issues and are never realistic. *nods sagely*
    Cait @ Paper Fury recently posted…10 Types Of Characters I Love To the Moon And BackMy Profile

• Rashika says

I am the dark side, Cait. WE BOTH KNOW THIS. You are equally wonderful <3
      #7 is totally true but there are also places like bookoutlet where books are so cheap it makes me want to cry *starts crying*

YA never gets realistic, Cait. Don't we know this? This is why we never feel anything when we read. ;)

4. Larissa says

This is the first comment I’m making in the blogging world in like months. Be proud Rashika <33

I love how this satire piece is the first thing I read since being so MIA. I miss joking around with y'all so much.

But what isn't a joke is how YA is terrible literature. In fact, who even calls it literature? Hah. Teens are not capable of enjoying that and obviously these books are aimed at them. Also have you heard of Twilight??? ALLLLLLLL YA books no matter what they're about are all intrinsically on the same plane as Twilight. No matter what.

….. I can't continue hahahah. It's mind-blowing that somewhere out there somebody may think these believes are true.

Lovely post girl! (:

p.s. actually spat my water out on #6. "Men are underrepresented." That coupled with the Donald Trump gif?? I DIED LAUGHING. I swear that is something Trump would say.

• Rashika says

I AM PROUD, LARISSA. And really really happy. I like seeing your face in the blogosphere <3

Omg. Every YA book is a rip off of Twilight. It's like as soon Twilight came out, all YA books became the same. Who would have thought that would happen?

ISN'T IT THOUGH? There are losers out there that think YA is a sum of all these various stereotypes.

ALSO I was looking for a gif for that when I came across the Donald Trump one and I knew it was perfect. IT IS SOMETHING HE WOULD SAY. He is such an idiot. UGH.

• Rashika says

I enjoy YA without romance too :D I just hate the assumption that all YA novels have romance or that romance is always a bad thing. You get what I mean? Sometimes I just want a book without romance or I’ll get mad at an unnecessary romance but I don’t want people shaming YA because of the romance :/

THANK YOU. I get so mad about Donald Trump but the gif was too good to not use. He is such an idiot. UGH.

RIGHT?! The Morally Complicated YA pissed me off so much since it’s such bullshit. People suck.

When I saw the title of this post in my Bloglovin feed my brain was getting ready to rage, then I started reading and realised what glorious satire this is hahaha.

But seriously, all those people who turn up their noses at YA because of these reasons I just… I don’t get it. They obviously aren’t reading the right books. There’s so much variety and greatness in YA. Somewhere out there is at least one YA book that is suitable for such a boring, pessimistic individual.

Well the expensive point is super valid at least, in some sense. But all books are expensive so *sobs*
    Bec @ Readers in Wonderland recently posted…Review: School Spirits by Rachel HawkinsMy Profile

• Rashika says

THEY TOTALLY AREN’T. Just like you said, there is so much variety in YA that if people assume that all YA books are the exact same, they need to pick up different books.

All books ARE expensive. My pockets hurt because college is expensive and books are and I want everything.

PSHH my preschooler is too cool for YA. She’s moved on. Now she only reads whatever has made Oprah’s book club. And stuff that that one random author dude decided was “morally complicated” enough for her high standards. Luckily we have THAT guy. What would we even do without him? I mean, my two year old still reads the occasional YA, but we make fun of him endlessly. I personally shame him on the regular, so he changes his ways. I swear, the other day I saw him looking at some YA series on the playground and it had a love triangle AND a female main character. All the other moms looked at me like “ew, your kid is STUPID”, because obviously their kids are way passed that stage and are into mainly erotic murder mysteries set in Victorian England. I have never been so embarrassed. ;)

OH but for #7? They are totally cheaper than “adult” books, so at least there’s that!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight recently posted…Giveaway and Sneak Peek: Titans by Victoria ScottMy Profile

• Rashika says

We should make that guy our king because he obviously knows where to find all the good books.

OMG. HE DID WHAT? It’s probably just a phase and with any luck, your two year old will grow out of it. Wouldn’t want a guy reading a (YA) book. Everyone knows real men don’t read.

Unless we are talking mass-market paperbacks but otherwise, adult books are ridiculously expensive. Like this book I want to pre-order is $20 on AMAZON. That hurts my soul.

What you listed are actually true but I can’t help but love them. Sometimes I think, I have enough of YA books, it’s time for me to move on and choose a different genre but then a new series will come out and I’ll be addicted with YA books all over again.
    Irish recently posted…Welcome back, Maria!My Profile

WHAT THE HECK RASHIKA. WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON’T LIKE THREESOMES??? They only appear in every YA novel ever, like seriously. And that’s what makes YA so darn popular. It’s the THREESOMES. THREESOMES. Repeat after me.

Love ya, child. <3 <3 Love this post too. And all the amazing gifs because yas
    Valerie recently posted…And Now The Blog Is Two!My Profile

Right?? Who reads YA after they turn 18? That’s when people need to start valuing their time and literature. Like, go read The Fountainhead or The Goldfinch, you know, real books.

Threesomes are SUCH a turn off. I’m pretty sure teens don’t even know what threesome is, tbh.

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH ROMANCE. LIEK GO STUDY, DO YOUR HOMEWORK, APPLY TO COLLEGE. No one REALLY stays together after high school anyway. These ridiculous YA novels get more insane by the book.

Right? Who the hell thought it’d be smart to have some girl be all skilled with a bow and arrow? Like, that’s old stuff that happened when like, the native americans were first “discovered”. It’s wayyy past that time. I mean, if you think about it, The Hunger Games is widely out of touch. No one USES bows and arrows anymore. My gosh.

Dude, teens are always try to get around the adults, like just LEAVE STUFF ALONE. Leave the movie dystopian attitude to the movies, do your homework. I assume they still have schools? Eh, who cares.

There is an abundance of female protagonists, I mean, just look at An Abundance of Katherines. Like damn.

IF A BOOK COSTS MORE THAN A STARBUCKS DRINK, I REFUSE TO BUY IT.
    AMBER recently posted…You Look Familiar. . . [Wondrous Covers Wednesday #48]My Profile

• Rashika says

YES. Once you’re 18, you cannot be caught reading YA. You gotta pick up a REAL book, if you know what I am talking about ;)

Teens and their poor innocent minds probably haven’t been infiltrated by such horrifying thoughts, TBH.

Oh yeah, THG was a total scam and so not relatable. WHO FIGHTS OVER THINGS these day anyway. We are a civil society, thank you very much.

I am assuming they would and if they have schools, they should do their homework. THEY WILL NEED TO GROW UP AND GET JOBS someday. Ungrateful kids these days.

That book *rolls eyes* ALL THE FEMALES. EWW. Women Empowerment sucks. It’s not like they are PEOPLE.

Funny you should mention Starbucks though because I really want Starbucks now. CHOP CHOP, AMBER.

Okay WOW. Hahahahaha I honestly think there’s a little bit of truth to all of this, and my heart kind of stopped for a second, because I thought you were SERIOUS. And then I was like, “wait, I’ve READ her reviews on YA. What eve?” and THEN my slow brain picked up on your little clever clues. *nods* Evil, Rashika. But that last one is TRUE, no sarcasm there lol.
    Madiha @ Paper Skies recently posted…Review: The Book of Ivy // Wherein It’s Hidden Agenda of Torture is DiscoveredMy Profile

• Rashika says

BAHAHAHAHA. I left little bread crumb clues for you to pick up on so you wouldn’t think I was being serious. I love YA way too much :’)

Trolololol!

So true! Lately, I find myself cringing everytime I tell myself I should read the YA books that are scattered in my house.. But then I remember I don;t have any patience to this kind of shit…